• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherry Pickers Post. A Double ?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

This coin is making me crazy. Every time I flip it over to see the rotation the reverse it is missing. This may be a true error coin:roflmao: 2000 P on one side and 2001 P on the other. I even went and got my wife's purple hand mirror thinking someone would say no way. It would be a fun coin for a bet. Heads I win tails you loose. I think it is called a Two Hammer Die error.

S20220830_0001.jpg

S20220830_0002.jpg

2000 P Double Head.jpg

2000 P Double Head 1.jpg

Edited by J P M

Is that a seam near the rim on the 2000 side? Nah, I think you hit the jackpot! 😜 

[Very cool find either way. 😉]

Edited by EagleRJO

What is a double headed nickel?

Image result for two headed buffalo nickel

This is the only known U.S. regular-issue coin of ANY denomination that was struck with two obverse dies (two-headed). It stands alone as a major U.S. numismatic rarity and proves that a United States two-headed coin exists! There are three known U.S. regular issued coins struck with two reverse dies.Jun 5, 2017

Bill, I think JP knows exactly what he found and was having a little fun with it. I think he got you pretty good searching all over the place for examples of the fakes vs the one known real one. 😜 

I also have a "genuine" 2-headed Morgan in my Potty Dollar collection, which is the one I roll around on top of my fingers. 😉  And about my hint above concerning the seam see this ... https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/is-a-two-headed-coin-genuine-768776

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/30/2022 at 7:33 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

That’s pretty cool JP I think that is a Top Pocket find! I’m betting I got a nickel that you don’t have.(believe it or not)

B2E51197-8FD6-46DA-9C29-F3CB5C335AB6.jpeg

22FC19E4-BF37-4E3D-9BA6-3DB5F4D57553.jpeg

B413E1EA-D0F2-480B-BEF1-1875F5706E7D.jpeg

Wow Bill ,That is a nice 37, Congrats

On 8/30/2022 at 12:55 PM, EagleRJO said:

Bill, I think JP knows exactly what he found and was having a little fun with it. I think he got you pretty good searching all over the place for examples of the fakes vs the one known real one. 😜 

I also have a "genuine" 2-headed Morgan in my Potty Dollar collection, which is the one I roll around on top of my fingers. 😉  And about my hint above concerning the seam see this ... https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/is-a-two-headed-coin-genuine-768776

I really did find it in a roll of bank nickels. It is a very nice example even the weight is 5g but they still have a hard time hiding the seam. I can't believe someone would spend the time and energy to make these. Still I think it is a cool find. Here is some shots of the edge  

S20220830_0004.jpg

S20220830_0005.jpg

S20220830_0003.jpg

I saw a video a while ago of what goes into making these, which takes skill and the right equip to get right so you can barely even see the seam. They are apparently popular with places like magic shops as the guy couldn't keep up with demand,  and from your find do sometimes get into circulation.

On 8/30/2022 at 5:58 PM, EagleRJO said:

I saw a video a while ago of what goes into making these, which takes skill and the right equip to get right so you can barely even see the seam. They are apparently popular with places like magic shops as the guy couldn't keep up with demand,  and from your find do sometimes get into circulation.

I think getting the weight to be 5g is cool, also if I did not have a scope or a loop it would be hard to see the edge.

On 8/30/2022 at 6:21 PM, J P M said:

... if I did not have a scope or a loop it would be hard to see the edge.

The seam on the 2000 side jumped right out at me in your original pics, particularly on the left side around "In God We Trust".  But maybe I just expected it to be there having seen these made a while ago and checking raw coins for that which are faked that way sometimes.

2000-2001 2-Headed Nickel.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/30/2022 at 7:36 PM, EagleRJO said:

The seam on the 2000 side jumped right out at me in your original pics, particularly on the left side around "In God We Trust".  But maybe I just expected it to be there having seen these made a while ago and checking raw coins for that which are faked that way sometimes.

2000-2001 2-Headed Nickel.jpg

Yes these shots are from my USB microscope. It picks up everything but in hand you can not see the seam. I can see this being passed around without a second glance.

Edited by J P M