• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 Small Date Penny clarification

25 posts in this topic

Hey guys I think I’m getting better at noticing the small dates pretty good but just want some clarification on this one, stood out to me. Any info would help. 

8E50B7FE-7ECE-4A59-9B3E-DDB27406BA62.jpeg

9641FE4D-1558-4BBB-A4E0-8A7A11363C25.jpeg

CABC01BD-26F5-48B0-A9AE-3E08ECFA648B.jpeg

EA916475-7BFD-4291-819C-E6D8D83CB6AF.jpeg

Edited by Nysmith9

On 8/29/2022 at 2:31 PM, Nysmith9 said:

Thank you for this it really narrows it down, looking at mine would you send it in under the parameters? 

Can you please supply a good clear picture of the reverse? Obviously, you know enough about this date and mint mark to have posted this particular coin, on a scale. By the looks of the mint mark with what appears to be zinc rot, and the top of the ear displaying a different color, I'm not convinced this is a copper cent.  Also, please make sure your scale is properly calibrated. Thanks! 

Edited by GBrad

On 8/29/2022 at 2:48 PM, GBrad said:

Can you please supply a good clear picture of the reverse? Obviously, you know enough about this date and mint mark to have posted this particular coin, on a scale.  Thanks. 

E6249FEA-1B87-453E-8A05-25719100CBE7.jpeg

On 8/29/2022 at 2:31 PM, Nysmith9 said:

Thank you for this it really narrows it down, looking at mine would you send it in under the parameters? 

You also didn't take a good pic of the obverse with a level date so you can look closely at how the date lines up.

On 8/29/2022 at 3:00 PM, Nysmith9 said:

When I’m looking for these is there a range where it could be one or has to be 3.1 on the dot. I’ll grab another scale and compare for sure

See above for weight range and calibrate scales with a known weight.

Now just because you never know, if I get another scale and still weighs in range 2.98 - 3.25 would that be worth anything? Or does the copper version simply impossible with this look? Sorry for sounding so amateur just learning as much as I can. Thank you 

On 8/29/2022 at 2:59 PM, Lem E said:

It is a small date but looks like a zinc coin. You might want to test your scale.

Ya know.... while nothing is impossible (I try to be optimistic as in "my glass is half full"), it is kinda like @J P M said, "Well the odds are astronomical". I think that pretty much sums it up here due to the simple fact that over 6 BILLION 1982-D LMC's were struck which accounts for both large and small dates combined.  However, if... just if.... the author hit the lottery here (which I am going to be very skeptical about until spot on weights are posted and if weight is correct, then on to is it actually a legit minted coin, no offense OP) those rings of death would be absolutely typical of my type of luck....😆

Edited by GBrad

The calibration weights for scales are invaluable and only like $7 or $8 on Amazon. I am often weighing older coins to check weights and always calibrate the scale first.

Even if everything on the surface check out prepare yourself for the more likely outcome that it comes back in a coin body bag as these coins are faked. Another option if things check out is to bring it to a local coin shop for an opinion to help figure out if it's worth your hard earned money to send it in.

41fZoAFkzTL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

It's a small date, but the appearance, texture, roughness, and what might be plating blisters make it look like a zinc cent.  You want to be darn sure that your scale is accurate

You could to a "ring" test.

Balance a pre 1982 copper cent on your fingertip (pinkie works best). 

Using another pre 1982 copper cent, GENTLY tap the edge of the coin on your finger.  You should hear a light ringing sound. 

Now place a post 1982 zinc cent on your finger

Using the same pre 1982 copper cent, GENTLY tap the edge.  You'll hear a dull thud

Now balance the coin in question on your finger, GENTLY tap the edge with the copper cent and listen for the ring or thud

DO THIS OVER A SOFT SURFACE.  Practice with pocket change first.  It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it

On 8/29/2022 at 4:21 PM, Oldhoopster said:

You could to a "ring" test.

Offf, can't even imagine attempting that. If it's zinc it should weigh between 2.40g and 2.60g on a calibrated scale, right?

On 8/29/2022 at 4:59 PM, EagleRJO said:

Offf, can't even imagine attempting that. If it's zinc it should weigh between 2.40g and 2.60g on a calibrated scale, right?

Used to do this all the time in 1982.  Those were the days before the internet and eBay and amazon, so you couldn't just jump on the web and buy a cheap Chinese 2 digit resolution digital scale for $20.  You had to use what was readily available.  It was a lot easier than bringing them all to school and asking the science teacher to use one of those manual balances.

I have been actively collecting and studying numismatic for over 50 years and have absolutely no problem using this diagnostic on circulated coins.  As I said, you need to practice a little and do it over a soft surface, but it's really very simple and easy to do

"Say Hello to my Little Friend" (at least 2 decimal place gram accuracy, to go with the above calibration weight). ;)

Those were the days before the internet and eBay and amazon, so you couldn't just jump on the web and buy a cheap Chinese 2 digit resolution digital scale for $20.

And a "Good Old Days" option for @Oldhoopster [duck]. :whistle:

Brecknell_EPB_Front_n.jpg

Old School Coin Scale.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO