• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First California gold deposit at Philadelphia Mint
1 1

19 posts in this topic

PRIVATE
Mint of the United States
December 8, 1848
Hon. R. S. Walker,
Secretary of the Treasury
Dear Sir,
We have received, this morning, the first deposit of gold from California. It weighed 1,804.59
ounces, of which 1,623.80 was from the lower surface mines, and 350.79 from this is Feather
River. It seems to be of excellent quality, but its true fineness has not yet been ascertained. When
it is assayed, I will let you know the result. It is composed entirely of grains and dust. It was
deposited by Mr. David Carter, who brought it from San Francisco by the Isthmus route.

Most truly and respectfully,
Your friend and servant
R. M. Patterson

Other early samples came through military command.

[Allow me to make it clear that this was not the first gold from Californian to reach the US Mint - that was when Californian was part of Mexico. This is the first to come from California under U.S. sovereignty and show up at the mint. I've outlines a short segment in FMTM-2 to discuss these early samples.]

Edited by RWB

FMTM-2 is in slow preparation --- it won't be out for a while...possibly late 2023. The goal remains machinery, mechanics, processes and operations - not specific coins. It's How and Why.

Two of the segments are largely finished. One explains how coins were issued and distributed in the U.S. before there was a Federal Reserve Banking system. A second explains why the U.S. Mint did not move to Washington City in 1800 with the rest of the Federal government. (Also explains why the "pressure to close the mint" did not really happen to the extent many claim.) Others are going to answer questions raised by collectors including some members right here.

Edited by RWB

Something caught my ever-roving eye. I would appreciate it immensely if we all agree to agree where gold, a precious metal is concerned, Troy weight and not Avoirdupois weight is used. As a practical matter, that would mean those 1804.59 oz. weigh a bit over 150 pounds. [If it were copper, that would be an entirely different matter.] The last time I brought this up, I was put before a firing squad. I don't want to have to go through all that again, particularly when my Guardian Angel at NGC intervened and resurrected me. Where do the numismatists on the Forum, with a purported 150 years' of professional experience stand on this? Briefly, 12 oz vs. 16 oz. 🐓 

On 8/29/2022 at 8:33 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Something caught my ever-roving eye. I would appreciate it immensely if we all agree to agree where gold, a precious metal is concerned, Troy weight and not Avoirdupois weight is used. As a practical matter, that would mean those 1804.59 oz. weigh a bit over 150 pounds. [If it were copper, that would be an entirely different matter.] The last time I brought this up, I was put before a firing squad. I don't want to have to go through all that again, particularly when my Guardian Angel at NGC intervened and resurrected me. Where do the numismatists on the Forum, with a purported 150 years' of professional experience stand on this? Briefly, 12 oz vs. 16 oz. 🐓 

Whenever I see weights of precious metals, I always assume troy ounces unless otherwise specified. I converted the 1804 troy ounces to standard pounds in my earlier post because nearly everybody (at least those of us born in the US) can relate to approx 124 standard pounds.  Although standard pounds is the norm, I should have clarified it since it Was mixing units.

Edited by Oldhoopster

On 8/29/2022 at 6:02 PM, RWB said:

FMTM-2 is in slow preparation --- it won't be out for a while...possibly late 2023. The goal remains machinery, mechanics, processes and operations - not specific coins. It's How and Why.

Two of the segments are largely finished. One explains how coins were issued and distributed in the U.S. before there was a Federal Reserve Banking system. A second explains why the U.S. Mint did not move to Washington City in 1800 with the rest of the Federal government. (Also explains why the "pressure to close the mint" did not really happen to the extent many claim.) Others are going to answer questions raised by collectors including some members right here.

Any chance you are looking for proofreaders? xD I can hope, right! :roflmao:

On 8/29/2022 at 8:33 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

...briefly Troy....

On 9/2/2022 at 3:50 PM, VKurtB said:

All this talk about different kinds of ounces is a, err, umm, Trojan Horse, … or sumpin like that. 

There is a part of me that cannot brook the use of terminological inexactitudes.  Ag and Au vs. Cu. Hence Robert Ripley's claim that a pound of feathers weighs more than a pound of silver or gold. Believe it or Not!

On 8/30/2022 at 7:49 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Drat, cataracts. Curses!

Stop complaining about Charmy's cat !

When do you get surgery?

On 9/2/2022 at 5:26 PM, RWB said:

Stop complaining about Charmy's cat !

When do you get surgery?

The standing appointment I had made with my PCP is Sept. 13th. I assume he will refer me to an orthopedist. I am in no particular rush.