• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charmy's BIG HUGE 2022 CHICAGO ANA WORLD'S FAIR OF MONEY SHOW w/tons of Pics!
2 2

58 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2022 at 10:58 PM, AdamWL said:

Great report. I'm envious of not only the show, but the fine dining as well :D

Come to FUN 2023 and a bunch of us should be there.  Although as I recall I went to this nearby Thai restaurant 3 nights in a row !! xD

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. I really enjoyed viewing all the pictures. Ive never had the oppurtunity to attend any shows and that was very exciting. It gave me a great idea of what to expect when I finally get to go. Thank you and congratulations on your awsome additions you got to bring home with you. Those were some very nice coins. Like Zadok said, I could almost put myself there from your well documented experience and great pictures. Thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed your post. 

On 8/23/2022 at 11:06 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Come to FUN 2023 and a bunch of us should be there.  Although as I recall I went to this nearby Thai restaurant 3 nights in a row !! xD

That would be very cool. I'll let you know if I can make it, though it's doubtful. I'd love to attend one of these bigger national shows. I love Thai food too!

Charmy, have you noticed more people....more YOUNG people.....more BEGINNERS.....at your table since Covid-19 ?

We've all heard the anectdotal stories about people at home picking up new hobbies with their keyboard.  Wondering if it is translating into traffic and a commitment past the stay-at-home surge of 2020/21.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Thank you for taking the time to share information about the show. I thoroughly enjoyed reading and viewing your all-inclusive report. Please continue reporting as I and many others in this forum look forward to learning about the happenings on the next shows and conventions.

On 8/25/2022 at 4:56 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

No pics of, or with, our every own, and famous in his own right, @VKurtB. How odd. 

Not at all. I never saw Charmy even once. I only got to maybe 10-15% of the bourse floor. I only ate dinner once, at Fogo da Chão on Wednesday night. My entire show was spent at Dealer Registration, the exhibits, and meeting rooms. 

Charmy has her “ducks in a row”. She brings her previous photo ID and registers early enough to get her ribbon through the mail. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/26/2022 at 8:10 PM, VKurtB said:

Not at all. I never saw Charmy even once. I only got to maybe 10-15% of the bourse floor. I only ate dinner once, at Fogo da Chão on Wednesday night. My entire show was spent at Dealer Registration, the exhibits, and meeting rooms. 

Charmy has her “ducks in a row”. She brings her previous photo ID and registers early enough to get her ribbon through the mail. 

Thank you for the explanation. 

On 8/26/2022 at 7:38 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Thank you for the explanation. 

Charmy is a real pro at this. You’d be amazed how disorganized so many show dealers are. It’s like they’re living life with their hair on fire. Some came to my desk THREE TIMES for photo ID’s. Each new one ran them $30. Very few seem to care. The margins must be obscene. 

Some comments and questions on Charmy's intro:

On 8/23/2022 at 12:39 AM, The Penny Lady said:

Most dealers felt that having Heritage and Stacks auction lot viewing off site was inconvenient, but that was because GreatCollections is now the official ANA auction company (for which they pay a hefty fee) so it was my understanding that the other auction companies were not allowed to have onsite auction lot viewing as they were no longer "paying" for this privilege.

So does this mean that HA and Stacks can't be anywhere in the convention center -- or just on the bourse/floor show ?  I remember at FUN 2020 (last show I attended) that I believe HA may have been the official sponsor and they held their 1927-D Saint and other auctions in a nice little room not far from the convention entrance doors.

As others have mentioned, the dealer day is an important part of a large show for dealers and will occur with or without the host show's participation. And as a collector, I can understand the frustration with feeling like all the "good stuff" may be gone before the show opens to the public. But as you all know, along with auctions and some other avenues, this is one of the major ways we dealers acquire inventory. It is also especially convenient and generally more secure to have the dealer tables on the bourse floor rather than in separate rooms or at off site hotel rooms. It's also a significant additional revenue for the ANA - when the PNG ran dealer day, they charged $500 per table rather than $250 fee the ANA charged. For me personally, it is also nice not to be rushed to set up and get organized, and much easier to be able to view other dealers' inventory without interfering with their retail business.

So in addition to having Dealer Time before the show opens on the 1st Day to the public....there are Dealer Days before the official start of the show -- is that correct ?

I'm curious....I've heard that 80% of many dealers business is these dealer-to-dealer transactions...it's where they get inventory....where they make money.....but....

How are they making money if they sell their stuff to other dealers (who presumably have to get it below the retail price to sell it themselves)....or....charge full retail price which is no bargain to the other dealer buyer ?  I guess this is why I never owned my own business.xD

One more thing I thought I'd address briefly what I know about the theft at the show that some of you may have heard about on dealer day where a case full of Rolex watches was stolen and the group of thieves (all caught on camera) just picked up the locked case, placed it upside down on a cart, and just walked off with it (the dealers had just taken a brief lunch break). They headed out some doors that were "guarded" by a convention worker but they distracted her and when her back was turned, the others pushed the cart out the door. It is believed they blended in with the other workers who were still on the floor moving/placing show cases at dealers' tables, etc. Believe me, we were all in shock over this brazen and well-orchestrated theft and I'm sure there will be changes made all around as a result of this. Even though this was a terrible event and very frustrating for all concerned, I know it is being handled by all the parties and authorities involved, I really would prefer not to have this show report derailed or focused on this incident.

This is amateur hour.  The place running the show CLEARLY doesn't have security people, they just have some young people or folks looking for some PT work who get a 2-week training in Security Procedures and get badges.  I can't believe that ANYBODY could be allowed to "blend in" when a show is being set up and people are coming-and-going. 

You need ALL entrances and exits locked....just one place for folks to come in-and-out.

No professional security guard gets "distracted" -- you're on the lookout for that.

Nobody "blends in" -- you have specially made highly-visible fluouresent orange or yellow windbreakers with the specific show's name blazened front and back.

Yes, I know these procedures -- I was an overnight guard for our club one year and worked alongside professionals who taught me alot in the few days of the show.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 8/26/2022 at 10:01 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

So does this mean that HA and Stacks can't be anywhere in the convention center -- or just on the bourse/floor show ?  I remember at FUN 2020 (last show I attended) that I believe HA may have been the official sponsor and they held their 1927-D Saint and other auctions in a nice little room not far from the convention entrance doors.

So in addition to having Dealer Time before the show opens on the 1st Day to the public....there are Dealer Days before the official start of the show -- is that correct ?

I'm curious....I've heard that 80% of many dealers business is these dealer-to-dealer transactions...it's where they get inventory....where they make money.....but....

How are they making money if they sell their stuff to other dealers (who presumably have to get it below the retail price to sell it themselves)....or....charge full retail price which is no bargain to the other dealer buyer ?  I guess this is why I never owned my own business.xD

This is amateur hour.  The place running the show CLEARLY doesn't have security people, they just have some young people or folks looking for some PT work who get a 2-week training in Security Procedures and get badges.  I can't believe that ANYBODY could be allowed to "blend in" when a show is being set up and people are coming-and-going. 

You need ALL entrances and exits locked....just one place for folks to come in-and-out.

No professional security guard gets "distracted" -- you're on the lookout for that.

Nobody "blends in" -- you have specially made highly-visible fluouresent orange or yellow windbreakers with the specific show's name blazened front and back.

Yes, I know these procedures -- I was an overnight guard for our club one year and worked alongside professionals who taught me alot in the few days of the show.

...re the lot viewing etc...HA n SB had their lot viewing offsite because of contract arrangements with  GC...both HA n SB were well represented on the bourse with massive booths etc, both had off bourse rooms for various functions, u r referring to the auctions that were conducted during the ANA, these r now held after the ANA at their home bases n online....

On 8/26/2022 at 10:01 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

...re the security arrangements...its much more complicated at a major convention site n comprised of many different vendors n subcontractors, significantly different than a local astronomy show where security is very basic n simple to arrange n secure...to implement all the various lock down n employee n contractor personnel registration n background checks would be cost prohibitive n the convention costs for dealers n attendees would exceed all revenues n void the convention...not to mention the unimaginable bottlenecks n long lines for everyone entering n leaving the complex, the convention would come to full-stop if it ever opened at all.... 

On 8/26/2022 at 10:38 PM, zadok said:

...re the security arrangements...its much more complicated at a major convention site n comprised of many different vendors n subcontractors, significantly different than a local astronomy show where security is very basic n simple to arrange n secure...to implement all the various lock down n employee n contractor personnel registration n background checks would be cost prohibitive n the convention costs for dealers n attendees would exceed all revenues n void the convention...not to mention the unimaginable bottlenecks n long lines for everyone entering n leaving the complex, the convention would come to full-stop if it ever opened at all.... 

Our astronomy show has 100-120 vendors coming from across the country with hundreds of people going in-and-out....trucks, cars, vans.....helpers and dealers....people coming from Europe, California, and the Tri-State area.

Procedures are procedures.  Basic stuff applies to any show.  From what Charmy wrote, some of the "procedures" look like they were grabbed off the internet.

On 8/26/2022 at 10:42 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Our astronomy show has 100-120 vendors coming from across the country with hundreds of people going in-and-out....trucks, cars, vans.....helpers and dealers....people coming from Europe, California, and the Tri-State area.

Procedures are procedures.  Basic stuff applies to any show.  From what Charmy wrote, some of the "procedures" look like they were grabbed off the internet.

...that is a very small show by comparison, our local flea market has more vendors, some of the larger coin shows have 10 times that number n encompass acres of space...but as u say, its all in the pudding if u want better security some one has to pay for it...organization, vendor, dealers or attendees....

On 8/26/2022 at 9:57 PM, zadok said:

...that is a very small show by comparison, our local flea market has more vendors, some of the larger coin shows have 10 times that number n encompass acres of space...but as u say, its all in the pudding if u want better security some one has to pay for it...organization, vendor, dealers or attendees....

All of the above, most likely. These people ARE security professionals. The same security staff goes with the ANA for EVERY show, whether it’s Colorado Springs, Atlanta, Chicago, Phoenix, Denver, Philly, Anaheim, wherever. This was a previously unseen technique. Security is provided by PPI Security, a Houston firm, if memory serves. 

Edited by VKurtB

Neither SB or HA had lot viewing on site. Both were at the Lowe’s hotel several blocks south. The contract with the official auction company, Great Collections in this case, grants them EXCLUSIVE on site lot viewing rights. Why SB and HA didn’t opt for a closer hotel, I can’t speculate. There were numerous to choose from. What I do know is Great Collections outbid both of the two biggies. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/26/2022 at 9:01 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

This is 100% false. PPI is a thoroughly professional security firm. They got beat this time. Simple as that. 

On 8/26/2022 at 10:57 PM, zadok said:

that is a very small show by comparison, our local flea market has more vendors, some of the larger coin shows have 10 times that number n encompass acres of space...but as u say, its all in the pudding if u want better security some one has to pay for it...organization, vendor, dealers or attendees....

Then you adjust personnel numbers....FUN is 600 vendors or so.....you might need more personnel for a larger forum (I would say OCCC was 3x the size of the Field House we use)...but the principles are the same.

Point is, this theft wasn't even well-planned....it wasn't Ocean's 11 or even Ocean's 8 (good movie with a female cast ! :))....they need to hire a PROFESSIONAL security company, the ones that safeguard billionaires and art shows.(thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 8/26/2022 at 11:22 PM, VKurtB said:

This is 100% false. PPI is a thoroughly professional security firm. They got beat this time. Simple as that. 

Beat by a distracted guard ?  By people blending in ?  Sorry, that is amateur hour.  This is EXACTLY what you pay a security firm to prevent.

Nobody is coming through the skylight on a rope like Tom Cruise in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.  My friend works security for one of the Top 50 wealthiest people in the U.S.....their procedures are all geared to stop this stuff and consider it 1st Level entries.  They are prepared for 2 levels higher, much more sophisticated, like professional military and/or security folks.

On 8/27/2022 at 12:09 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Then you adjust personnel numbers....FUN is 600 vendors or so.....you might need more personnel for a larger forum (I would say OCCC was 3x the size of the Field House we use)...but the principles are the same.

Point is, this theft wasn't even well-planned....it wasn't Ocean's 11 or even Ocean's 8 (good movie with a female cast ! :))....they need to hire a PROFESSIONAL security company, the ones that safeguard billionaires and art shows.(thumbsu

...i personally think u r trying to compare small town venues with minimal incentives for professional thieves with venues having 10s or 100s of millions of dollars of goods that attract all levels of thieves...i personally am not aware of any venue in the US that could or would accommodate the security features u mention that would be large enuf to house the ANA....