• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade/Value for $1 Presidential Coin?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if these coins are legal tender, but if so I would peg the value right at ... drum roll ... $1 for a "Road Rash" grade coin. :roflmao:

2010 Lincoln $1 Presidential Coin - $2,000 eBay.jpg

2010 Lincoln $1 Presidential Coin Values s.jpg

2010 Lincoln $1 Presidential Coin - $2,000 eBay Listing.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

That is what you get at the bank when you ask for dollar coins. The Title information is misleading but true, no punctuation ...1 Dollar, 16th President  Abraham Lincoln 1861-1865. Coins

On 8/21/2022 at 7:24 PM, J P Mashoke said:

That is what you get at the bank when you ask for dollar coins. The Title information is misleading but true, no punctuation ...1 Dollar, 16th President  Abraham Lincoln 1861-1865. Coins

Haven't gotten a roll of dollars in forever, but okay value at $1, and Grade-RR ("Road Rash') picked up in a parking lot.  [And was it after Lincoln, or maybe after the following year, that they were just issued for numismatic sales?]

About the dates, the coin and listing does have the years Lincoln was president, but then in reference after those dates is the word "coins" (plural).  They seem to imply by that, or think, it's one of the "1861-1865 Coins".  If they would have found a 2007 GW copper dollar (president from 1789-1797) they would have had a brain aneurysm. :insane:

This bonehead must have either thought it was that old being a RR grade from having watched too many YT click-bait-get-rich-quick-from-pocket-change vids, or even worse figured ppl would think it's that old by special listing it that way. :whatthe:

Why can't I find coins like that. (shrug)

Edited by EagleRJO

The Grade: AU Details, Surface Damage (presumably genuine, as it wouldn't be worth counterfeiting)

The Value: $1.  Can be used as part payment for your fare on some public transportation systems.

That's all, folks!

On 8/21/2022 at 10:06 PM, Sandon said:

The Grade: AU Details, Surface Damage (presumably genuine) ...

AU with no number grade agreed.  But Sandon, you are slipping.  TPG slabbed with that obverse rim damage, and of all ppl you "presumed" it was genuine.  Just a reminder that the coin did come from eBay, and there is no way any genuine raw coins are for sale there. :whistle:

Now I know a lot of you serious collectors must be thinking "what if that baby sells out before I can save up enough to buy it".  Well, don't you worry because that rocket scientist has more than one of these 1861-1865 special super-old one-of-a-kind rare coins for sale.  Feast your eyes on the attached bad boy.

I know, I know it's not as "valuable" because it has no Road Rash, but you can fix that really easy by tossing it in your driveway to run it over multiple times and BINGO ... $1,500 upgrade.  And the seller doesn't accept returns, that's strange. (shrug)

2010 Lincoln $1 Presidential Coin - $500 eBay Coin.jpg

2010 Lincoln $1 Presidential Coin - $500 eBay Listing.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Kidding aside, as clearly  stated above multiple times the value of the coin is in fact $1, along with criticism of the seller.  I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the first listing, and then spit my coffee out all over my office desk when I saw the second listing (worth a few bucks also at best) from the same person with a different username.

They also appear to be generating fake reviews among multiple accounts buying and selling cheap items from one to the other (to get the "100% Positive Feedback" below the username), with very few actual sales.

Looks like a real scam artist, or artists, preying on the uninformed so I thought it was worth my time to file complaints with eBay and try to expose the fraud, with some humor mixed in, which I would suggest others do also. There are a lot of rip offs on eBay, but those were particularly bad which I think can reflect negatively on the collecting community in general.

Edited by EagleRJO

It's not possible to fix stupid.  If someone pays more than a few $, they can't be helped.  Most of the public presumably doesn't know these coins exist, but it only takes a few minutes at most to perform an online search to find out what is offered for sale.

Outside of top registry coins, errors, and maybe a few die varieties, none of these coins should sell for more than FV.  Unless practically the entire mintage is melted, it will remain extremely common at any grade below "top pop" (and maybe not even then) for as long as it will matter to anyone reading this thread.  And even if this happens, the series will still retain its basement level preference among collectors anyway.

Modern Dollars look more like brass tokens to me. I have no desire to keep them even when I get them in change. The new coins can be given to the grandkids for candy. Now a real brass token would have a spot to stay at my house.(thumbsu

On 8/24/2022 at 6:40 AM, J P M said:

Modern Dollars look more like brass tokens to me.

Same here, like Chuck-E-Cheese tokens honestly.

On 8/24/2022 at 6:40 AM, J P M said:

I have no desire to keep them even when I get them in change. 

I don't use change anymore if I can avoid it since it has no purchasing power.  But outside of a low proportion of collectors, I infer your sentiments are representative.  The designs are (very) unappealing.

There is too much variety to keep up with since 1999.  I'm aware these series exist, but have no idea of the designs outside of this series and some of the SQ.

The SQ program stimulated public and collector interest due to the lack of design change over the prior 30+ years.  I infer too much change has the same result, especially when the designs are artistically inferior.

I've never heard any of these small dollars circulate with any frequency.  To my knowledge, the public prefers $1 currency notes and absent eliminating it, these will never circulate.  The only reason for even striking it is to make money, presumably mostly an accounting profit if these coins sit in vaults like prior ones reportedly do/did.