• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penny question

12 posts in this topic

Damaged, looks like someone may have used some type of tool, belt sander maybe, in an attempt to create an error to sell somewhere like etsy or insta.   Not a true mint error and as hoop noted now that the coper plating has been removed the zinc core is eroding to dust.

Thank goodness that joker wasn't a CAM, Phew.....!!!!!  I "think" the A in STATES is centered (surely it's not favoring the right side T is it?) because you sure can't tell much by the way AM is damaged and the proximity of FG is hard to tell for me as well with the building corner damaged as it is.   

Edited by GBrad

On 8/24/2022 at 1:38 PM, GBrad said:

Thank goodness that joker wasn't a CAM, Phew.....!!!!!  I "think" the A in STATES is centered (surely it's not favoring the right side T is it?) because you sure can't tell much by the way AM is damaged and the proximity of FG is hard to tell for me as well with the building corner damaged as it is.   @Coinbuf??

LoL that was the first thing I saw was the close AM, Brad but it would not matter anyway it is just to damaged for anything

On 8/24/2022 at 3:17 PM, J P M said:

LoL that was the first thing I saw was the close AM, Brad but it would not matter anyway it is just to damaged for anything

100% correct JP. That coin is beyond damaged and it would not matter even if it was a CAM. I just have this dream, pretty much more like a nightmare, every now and then about finding a fairly valuable coin and it looking like this one (the true side effects of being an error and variety collector). Bottom line here is this: It does not matter. Thanks for the comment my friend. 

On 9/19/2022 at 8:21 PM, VeRock said:

Is this 1964 penny with the L on the edge worth third party grading and encapsulation?  

Definitely not.