• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942/42 dime? Please help me out here.
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I purchased this dime that the seller indicated was a 1942/1942 P Mercury Dime. I can see doubling and a die crack and light "GOD"/"COD"

Please let me know what you think, ha I'm sure you will!

IMG-5237.jpg

IMG-5236.jpg

IMG-5235.jpg

42Merc-4.JPG

42Merc-3.JPG

42Merc-2.JPG

42Merc-1.JPG

IMG-5235.jpg

IMG-5234.JPG

IMG-5232.JPG

Edited by Mr.Bill347
Picture

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I'm afraid you have a combination of strike doubling and light contact damage. It's not an actual variety, but keep looking.

Sorry, but it isn't a 42/42.

No split serifs.  No 42/42 doubled dies listed by Wexler in doubleddie.com or on varietyvista.com.  Looks like either minor circulation damage or possibly mechanical doubling. It is not hub doubling

The die cracks are scratches.  They are incused, not raised.

COD/GOD is just circulation wear and tear

You have a normal 1942 Merc in circulated condition.  If you paid a premium because of the "errors" I would suggest seeing if you can return it for a refund

Sorry Bill I don't see anything . And as others have said . I cant find a listing? I hope you can get you money back.

On 8/20/2022 at 12:16 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

the seller indicated was a 1942/1942 P Mercury Dime

Sounds like the "seller" was blowing some "smoke" you know where and trying to cash in on the notoriety of the "42 Over 41".  :S 

For the OP coin at over 200 mil minted it's prolly worth ... 10C ... JK, prolly $2 to $3?

1942 Mercury Dime 42-41.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO