• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More than one Top Pop?

3 posts in this topic

Hello, I own a common US coin designated here as Top Pop when I verify it.  However I've found at least one other of the exact same specimen in every way also designated as Top Pop.  You can click back and forth between pages and the only data that changes is the ID number and the picture of the coins are aligned differently in the slab, clearly different coins upon magnification.

Can there be more than one Top Pop for two separate but otherwise identical coins or is this an error in the listing at NGC?

Thank you,

Yes, often times coins will have several top-pops, depends on the series. Every coin is different. Being top-pop doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the only one, just that it was one of the highest graded for that particular example. If 4 MS-68 coins exist they are all top-pop.

SINGLE top-pop or SOLE top-pop coins are the highest with non being tied or above. I.e an MS-68+ Rosie with the next highest being MS-68.