• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early NGC pop reports
1 1

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC's Census Report ceased to be printed after 2011. I know, because preparing it for print used to be among my responsibilities, and it was a real bear of a job that took me half a day. NGC maintained an archive of older issues, but I don't know that it went back that far. The last time I saw the collection was several years ago, and everything has been moved around since then. I don't know whether any early issues survive, but some may turn up on eBay from time to time. It's not the sort of thing that anyone consciously preserved.

On 8/19/2022 at 2:37 PM, DWLange said:

NGC's Census Report ceased to be printed after 2011. I know, because preparing it for print used to be among my responsibilities, and it was a real bear of a job that took me half a day. NGC maintained an archive of older issues, but I don't know that it went back that far. The last time I saw the collection was several years ago, and everything has been moved around since then. I don't know whether any early issues survive, but some may turn up on eBay from time to time. It's not the sort of thing that anyone consciously preserved.

Not even in digital format ?

On 8/19/2022 at 10:54 PM, RWB said:

Look on NNP. Someone might have donated a batch.

Unfortunately not, I don’t think anyone would give that for free. There’s a rattler PCGS pop report I’m trying to get the owner to upload, but alas.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Not even in digital format ?

I don't believe any digital files were saved. Since the Census is a record of what has been certified to date, it's always a moving target. I would send two pdfs to the printer each quarter, one for USA and one for world (which required two volumes to print), but these were not saved.

On 8/20/2022 at 2:45 PM, DWLange said:

I don't believe any digital files were saved. Since the Census is a record of what has been certified to date, it's always a moving target. I would send two pdfs to the printer each quarter, one for USA and one for world (which required two volumes to print), but these were not saved.

While working on the SG DE book, I got some old population reports from PCGS and NGC. They were for the period surrounding the 1908 DE appearance. I'll check to be sure that's not a faulty memory.

Found 'em but they cover only SG DE from PCGS and NGC and are from Nov 2014. That's all I have.

Edited by RWB

On 8/20/2022 at 7:51 PM, RWB said:

While working on the SG DE book, I got some old population reports from PCGS and NGC. They were for the period surrounding the 1908 DE appearance. I'll check to be sure that's not a faulty memory.

Found 'em but they cover only SG DE from PCGS and NGC and are from Nov 2014. That's all I have.

I appreciate it. There are pretty good third part census on the holders, but they are incomplete.

On 8/19/2022 at 10:31 AM, Bignubnumismatics said:

I’ve been looking for early NGC population reports from 1987. Can’t find anywhere where the data is available or for sale. Really looking for the White and Black 1.0-2.1 holder info. Any help I’d appreciated, thanks!

Any reason you're looking for them at that date ?  The TPGs had just started up, population numbers had to be somewhat low.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 8/20/2022 at 8:15 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Any reason you're looking for them at that date ?  The TPGs had just started up, population numbers had to be somewhat low.

Looking for true populations of the 1.0 Black holder, 2.1 white label, and 2.0 white label. Which were all used in the first two months.