• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1883-O 1$ Morgan silver dollar

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I recently received a few new Morgan dollars, curious as to if it's worth the grading process, still haven't got my feet wet with grading as a single dad I am a bit nervous about my own skills in really recognizing the possible higher grades in certain series, (still a novice) this 1883 seems to have really sharp designs minimum... if any contact marks. Really a beautiful coin, hopefully my photos are sufficient to tell me if what I call decent ms grade is in the ballpark , I started to look into VAMS and it's a lot of information not asking people to identify that side of it just curious as if this is considered High grade, I understand it's only opinions by photos and I appreciate any feedback or advice thank you in advance

IMG_20220819_040304.jpg

IMG_20220819_040351.jpg

IMG_20220819_040439.jpg

I don't see any wear, and it's a good strike. Wasn't always the case for NO mint Morgans. I do not think I see evidence of cleaning, but the photos have an odd light that makes it hard to assess the surfaces. Not trying to find fault--rarely do we get pics this big, properly oriented, and sharp--but it does affect one's ability to see surface originality.

I think your primary detractor is the noteworthy contact mark in front of Liberty's nose, which is a prime focal area in Morgan grading. For that reason it would surprise me if it cleared MS-63, 64 just possibly. I don't think the edge ding on obverse at 5:30 would rise to the level that knock it way down to VF, thankfully. I bear in mind that when we blow the coins up this large, we can see a lot but we have to remember that the actual coin is actual size and thus that the contact mark and ding in hand are much smaller than what we see here.

Photos are hard to tell, that being said.

1883-O & 84-O Morgan’s are the most common Morgans available in UNC. Yours looks like a 62 if not cleaned from the photos (lighting is difficult to properly asses the coin).

unless you are bulk submitting coins, the common NO coins are really only worth submitting if it would 65 or higher.

so your coin is. It worth submitting and I think if you were to sell it raw $40-45 would be a good price

Thanks for the feedback, grateful that people offer their time, expertise and knowledge,and I've been learning how to take proper photos, I know all the photos that get posted only the best so I do my best to make it easier not only for you guys but for myself enables me to get better responses or more accurate again thank you i appreciate your response