• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JP's Morgan's
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Nice!  I like what appears to be some light toning and the "soap bar" label.  Gradflation resubmit?

Also, you have posted a number of Morgans lately.  How is the one-per-year set coming along?

On 8/18/2022 at 4:54 PM, EagleRJO said:

Nice!  I like what appears to be some light toning and the "soap bar" label.  Gradflation resubmit?

Also, you have posted a number of Morgans lately.  How is the one-per-year set coming along?

This is a very common year. It would be worth it if I could get a MS65 but I think I will leave it in this holder where it has been for the last 30 years that is the original color 1990 to 93. OGH is PCGS and Soap Bars are old NGC holders. So Now I need the 1888 through 1895  they will be $$$ the 88 and 89 wont be to bad but the last 5 are going to be tough in MS to fit in my budget.

Edited by J P Mashoke

Speaking of reholdering, the 1883 CC Morgan I just received is in a similar holder but seems to show characteristics of a VAM-2 , how would I submit that, reholder and variety?

On 8/18/2022 at 5:25 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Speaking of reholdering, the 1883 CC Morgan I just received is in a similar holder but seems to show characteristics of a VAM-2 , how would I submit that, reholder and variety?

I think they only do certain VAM coins Bill. Some are just not worth the cost. If you think you got a special one you may want to check. 

On 8/18/2022 at 5:25 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Yea, I agree with JP that there are only certain VAMs that may increase the value.  I would check prices, including recent sales/auctions to see if it may be worth it, and you would have to be sure they missed it on the orig submission.

On 8/18/2022 at 2:25 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Reholder is only to change the holder, not for grading and variety attribution.   To have the VAM on the holder you would have to have it regraded and pay the grading and variety fees.   And you will lose the old holder, so unless that VAM is very rare and adds considerable value you will be spending a lot of money you may never get back.   Obviously if having the VAM on the holder is more important to you than the money then you know how to proceed.

On 8/18/2022 at 5:07 PM, J P Mashoke said:

So Now I need the 1888 through 1895 ... the last 5 are going to be tough in MS to fit in my budget.

Except for a few years (and the CC mint marks) may not be too bad since it's a one-a-year.  But yea 1893 - 1895 could get pricy in MS.  I will have to drop down from AU/BU to an XF for much of that.  What's the plan 1893(P) and 1894-S, and then maybe save up for an 1895-S or drop to an AU for that one?

Thanks Coinbuf! Excellent point. There is some Esthetic value in the old “fatty” holders, it would risk downgrading which would defeat the advantage of a VAM. I’ll keep it the way it is as JP said.

Edited by Mr.Bill347
Typo

On 8/18/2022 at 5:55 PM, EagleRJO said:

Except for a few years (and the CC mint marks) may not be too bad since it's a one-a-year.  But yea 1893 - 1895 could get pricy in MS.  I will have to drop down from AU/BU to an XF for much of that.  What's the plan 1893(P) and 1894-S, and then maybe save up for an 1895-S or drop to an AU for that one?

Plan,  :roflmao:there is no Plan. I will just keep shopping ya never know what is out there, maybe buy some G4's :$ 

On 8/18/2022 at 7:39 PM, J P Mashoke said:

maybe buy some G4's

You, a confirmed slabbed MS guy buy a really worn G coin.  No way ... :roflmao:

Next you are going to tell me it will be a raw coin, and then I will know you have lost it. :insane:

[Also, I meant to ask before, is that def a scratch at 5 o'clock or maybe just a die mark or bag/scuff mark? Hard to judge depth from a pic.]

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/18/2022 at 8:21 PM, EagleRJO said:

You, a confirmed slabbed MS guy buy a really worn G coin.  No way ... :roflmao:

Next you are going to tell me it will be a raw coin, and then I will know you have lost it. :insane:

[Also, I meant to ask before, is that def a scratch at 5 o'clock or maybe just a die mark or bag/scuff mark? Hard to judge depth from a pic.]

I think it is a bag mark. If you look at it close up it looks like it got hit with a reeded edge from another Morgan. But in hand without magnification it looks like a scratch. As I said this girl is under graded her hair looks like she just got out of the salon. But the bag marks are bringing her down :frown:

S20220819_0001.jpg

S20220819_0002.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

Bag mark and not die mark it is. It does look like a different coin, with a lot more detail and more of a shiny silver appearance than the orig pic. I agree, looks like she just got back from the salon. 😉