• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone grade their medals from the mint? Like the American Liberty 2022 Silver Medal!!

22 posts in this topic

Hello, 

The title says it all. I want to know if anyone would have this medal graded? Is it even worth having graded? It has a 75,000 production and mintage, but is that rare for a medal? I don't know much about medals and don't even know if they are worth collecting. 

Keep me posted,

Diamondslayer

On 8/18/2022 at 4:08 PM, Diamondslayer said:

Hello, 

The title says it all. I want to know if anyone would have this medal graded? Is it even worth having graded? It has a 75,000 production and mintage, but is that rare for a medal? I don't know much about medals and don't even know if they are worth collecting. 

Keep me posted,

Diamondslayer

I was actually going to buy that one today, because I liked it. I would hold off and get one already graded when the retailers figure out that the public did not go crazy like they thought. I dis-enrolled from the Eagle, Morgan and Peace dollars this week, because I don’t approve of the cheap mode the mint is in right now.

as far as grading medals, I have one in particular that I love, plus a lot of commemorative coins graded.

2C76FB3C-F6C2-4BDF-AEAD-F8391DE38AC2.jpeg

83FDFA7E-4064-4E0E-928C-7401D5398E30.jpeg

Edited by Mr.Bill347

There are some historical medals that might be worth the "grading" and package protection, but none of the modern qualify in my mind.

On 8/18/2022 at 4:08 PM, Sandon said:

Modern art and medals made for collectors with a mintage of 75,000 are extremely unlikely to ever be considered "rare".  Virtually the entire mintage is likely to remain in existence, and there aren't as many serious collectors of such items as there are collectors of legal tender coins.  There doesn't appear to be much of an "aftermarket" for them either as compared to coins. I haven't even heard of people seeking high grades for them as for coins! (These should all be virtually flawless anyway.)  As there is no question of the medal's authenticity, and it is already sealed in a protective capsule with a government box and certificate, I see no reason to spend substantial money over and above the mint's inflated price to send these to a grading service.

Thank you!! 

On 8/19/2022 at 2:29 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I was actually going to buy that one today, because I liked it. I would hold off and get one already graded when the retailers figure out that the public did not go crazy like they thought. I dis-enrolled from the Eagle, Morgan and Peace dollars this week, because I don’t approve of the cheap mode the mint is in right now.

as far as grading medals, I have one in particular that I love, plus a lot of commemorative coins graded.

Nice one, I love it.

I have a lot of more modern (post-depression era) coins and sets from the US Mint, and was an avid collector of ASE including both  proof and bullion gold and silver coins until this year when the quality of the capsules and packaging dropped like a rock.

They also made a very poor decision imo to completely cancel all Morgans this year, but increase other higher margin coins/medals such as the ASE. Like some others, I think I will also be canceling all my Mint enrollments because of the recent poor decisions and product quality decline.

But the nicer ones do come in protective  capsules in a presentation box (except its really cheesy this year) with a COA.  I have a lot of coins from the US Mint, and that's they way ALL of them will stay. Like others have said I think sending them in to a TPG is a loosing game for more modern coins and medals.

Modern coin mart is selling graded versions of the American Liberty coin for $193.

By the time you buy it from the mint, pay shipping to you, join NGC, pay shipping to NGC, pay grading fees, pay upgraded holder fees, handling fees and return shipping, you’d be way beyond that number.

On 8/22/2022 at 5:37 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Modern coin mart is selling graded versions of the American Liberty coin for $193.

By the time you buy it from the mint, pay shipping to you, join NGC, pay shipping to NGC, pay grading fees, pay upgraded holder fees, handling fees and return shipping, you’d be way beyond that number.

Or just buy it from MCM in the OGP for $102, which is a little closer to the $75 US Mint Price, and just leave it like that. ;)

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/23/2022 at 2:17 PM, investinrehabs said:

Someone is selling a few Libertys NGC PF70on ebay, with the ANA Chicago coin show label, for $499.99. I don't know if anyone will pay that, but they're for sale.

They probably will not get that cause they are selling for a lot less, but you never know.  There was a guy on eBay asking $2,000 for a Lincoln Dollar coin worth ... drum roll ... exactly $1.00. :insane:

But people will apparently pay a premium right now for a lot of those catchy super special marketing labels and designations.  They may not realize it's an issue until they go to sell the coins down the road when the novelty of that has worn off.

On 8/23/2022 at 1:17 PM, investinrehabs said:

Someone is selling a few Libertys NGC PF70on ebay, with the ANA Chicago coin show label, for $499.99. I don't know if anyone will pay that, but they're for sale.

On 8/22/2022 at 7:55 PM, EagleRJO said:

Or just buy it from MCM in the OGP for $102, which is a little closer to the $75 US Mint Price, and just leave it like that. ;)

What is MCM and OGP? 

do y’all think it is fair that you can’t get FDOI unless you can buy the coin from the mint at a trade show and give it to NGC that day? I bought some coins with proof that I bought them on the same day and only got an early release. Is there anyway to dispute it? 

On 8/24/2022 at 7:30 AM, Diamondslayer said:

What is MCM and OGP? 

MCM is Modern Coin Mart one of the larger online coin dealers, and OGP means "Original Government Packaging" as the coin comes from the US Mint - like the coin capsules, presentation boxes (however cheesy they have become) and COA (Certificate of Authenticity) for the proof medals we are discussing, such as the attached from the MCM listing.

I have never been a fan of FD, FS, FDOI, etc. and other such arbitrary time-based grade modifiers, which I view as just a marketing gimmick that larger dealers pay the US Mint to be supplied the paperwork in order for certain coins to be eligible for such designations through the TPGs.  What do they really mean? A better strike or appearance?

I don't think so because the US Mint does not track or provide information about when during the life of a working die particular coins were struck.  So, you can have a coin graded MS-64 FD FS FDOI ABC DEF and every other time-based modified under the sun struck near the end of the initial production or die, and it may in fact not be as well struck as a coin produced 6 months later right after a working die was changed.  Bottom line is what the coin in hand looks like, not what a paper label with a bunch of arbitrary letters and an opinion says. So don't be too disappointed.

I just realized we at discussing a PF Liberty from MCM at FMV w/ OGP and COA that may be CA EF EPF FD FS FDOI DFM (previously known as "a nicely struck proof medal that I got early in the year from the mint").  :insane:

2022-silver-1-oz-liberty-series-medal-proof-ogp.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

I bought the last 5 Libertys the mint had, at the Chicago coin show. NGC is grading them and giving me the ANA/coin show label. I believe that label will increase the value of the coin. Someone's selling them for $499.99 on ebay. I highly doubt they will sell at that price, but I think they'll be worth more than $193. I guess time will tell. 

On 8/27/2022 at 9:51 AM, Scott0949 said:

. Someone's selling them for $499.99 on ebay. I highly doubt they will sell at that price, but I think they'll be worth more than $193. I guess time will tell. 

I am selling them out of my store for 225, but it is just COA. I did not have them graded. Do you think I am pricing them right?

On 8/27/2022 at 10:00 AM, Diamondslayer said:

I am selling them out of my store for 225, but it is just COA. I did not have them graded. Do you think I am pricing them right?

IMHO....That's a high price. They're selling on ebay graded PF70, for $140 and up. But hey, if someone is willing to pay your price...good for you!

Edited by Scott0949

Thanks for you humble opinion. I am a newbie and don't know much, but I will definently change my price to 150! Thanks again. 

On 8/27/2022 at 11:59 AM, Scott0949 said:

IMHO....That's a high price. They're selling on ebay graded PF70, for $140 and up. But hey, if someone is willing to pay your price...good for you!

On 8/19/2022 at 2:29 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I really like it :)

On 8/23/2022 at 1:17 PM, investinrehabs said:

Nobody SHOULD, but somebody WILL. That’s the way this hobby is.