• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original dealer invoices with coin collection.

12 posts in this topic

I inherited a coin collection....(a slight pause for the silent groans of  "Great, here we go again.") My initial question is, "Does the initial invoice and or packaging that came with the original coin purchase have value as a part of the collection? Or at this point just taking up space?"

For example an invoice with the descriptive of the coin: 1875-CC GOLD LIBERTY TYPE ll (NO MOTTO) NGC CERT #-------    As well as the dealer information, date of deal and receipt of purchase. 

This documentation may have significance if it indicates that a coin came from a famous collection or was sold by a well-known dealer or auction house.  Provenances are important to many collectors.  I'm not sure what you mean by "packaging". Do not remove coins that are sealed in grading service holders (NGC, PCGS, ANACS, etc.)  as doing so would void the guarantees of authenticity and grade afforded by those services.  Coins should also not be removed from original government packaging.

I'd need more information to give you a better response.  (The one coin you refer to is likely worth several thousand dollars, over $1,700 in current gold value alone.)

The packaging I refer to is just a basic glued cardboard cover to protect the coin for mailing. The invoices do identify the dealership as well as including in most instances, the name of the sales rep that handled the transaction, dates purchased amounts paid etc. I understand not to tamper with the plastic holders etc. that they come in. I appreciate the response and will keep the invoices with the coins.

Some collectors would appreciate having that documentation with the coins, some will not.   If the person you received the collection from is important to you perhaps finding one or two and framing them along with the coins (or photos of the coins) would be a cool family keepsake.

On 8/15/2022 at 12:32 AM, Coinbuf said:

Some collectors would appreciate having that documentation with the coins, some will not.   If the person you received the collection from is important to you perhaps finding one or two and framing them along with the coins (or photos of the coins) would be a cool family keepsake.

That is actually a great idea that I wish I would have thought of when my Uncle passed who had some of my GF's coins.  Wasn't really into collecting at that time.  I will have to see what I can dig up.

Organize it and keep it, really a no-brainer in my book unless we're talking about boxes and boxes of paper work and original mint packaging. Without knowing more specifics, throwing away such documentation and packaging could only hurt your bottom line if you were going to sell anything. At the very least you should probably put the original purchase price and any other pertinent info into a spreadsheet prior to pitching everything.

The original invoices may not add much, if any value, but for those of us who like the provenance and history component of the hobby, they are really interesting.  If they aren't much of a bother to you, please try to keep them with the coins and pass them on to any buyers.  Once they're discarded, you can't get them back.

It also depends on how old the invoices are.  10 year old invoices, not so interesting.  50 year old invoices, could be cool.

That being said, I think many collectors won't really care about them and they are likely to get tossed.  Oh well. Just my thoughts

On 8/15/2022 at 9:25 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Once they're discarded, you can't get them back.

True...but if you still think there's a chance somebody might want that information contained in the box, then take some smartphone pics on your phone and save them to a Coin Folder.  Back it up, too !  (thumbsu

I appreciate all of the advice, I will keep all of the paperwork that is with the coins. My initial concern was as much about the space available to store them at this point. Obviously the paperwork takes up more space than the coins in the plastic holders.

On 8/15/2022 at 2:49 PM, Liam ll said:

My initial concern was as much about the space available to store them at this point. Obviously the paperwork takes up more space than the coins in the plastic holders.

You can always take photos as proof of any OGP direct ownership.

There's limited monetary value to the old invoices unless they are from famous collection or a well known dealer or auction company of olden days. However, do not discard them. Occasionally a new variety is discovered and you might have an invoice for the same variety (just not mentioned) amid the coins you have. If you sell any coins, it's good policy to include the old invoices. Most buyers will appreciate this and consider it thoughtful. (Something evidently scarce among coin sellers.)

Edited by RWB

I agree with trying to keep the invoices - and even the original packaging, if it is feasible. If I were purchasing your collection, or even one piece, I would certainly appreciate having original documentation - for the history, and for any future use.