• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1996 P Zlincoln
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Can you guys explain something to me.  If they are both from pocket change wouldn't they both be AU at best, and if close to MS an AU-58?

On 8/14/2022 at 5:07 PM, EagleRJO said:

Can you guys explain something to me.  If they are both from pocket change wouldn't they both be AU at best, and if close to MS an AU-58?

If it was just taken from a bank roll that had not been opened before it is possible that the coin may not have seen enough circulation to have any rub or evidence of handling from circulation.   If so it could very well grade as uncirculated even tho it was found in pocket change.   A grader has no way to know the travels of the coin he grades, the coin in front of the grader may have seen very minor circulation or have been plucked right from a mint roll or mint set.   I have a complete set of ATB quarters that I put together form just change finds and I would bet, if I wanted to waste the money, over half of the coins would grade as BU or better if submitted.   Many unc coins have seen some minor circulation, the term and distinction is less literal and more subjective.

As an example, if I went to the bank and asked for a fresh roll of 2022 dimes and submitted all the coins in that roll most if not all would come back as unc not AU.

And to be clear, the 96 Bill posted may very well be AU, the photo has some dark shadowy areas so its not real easy from that photo to see if the coin has any circulation "rub" or not.   That is why I said MS64 at best, it could very easily grade as AU with a proper exam.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 8/14/2022 at 7:07 PM, EagleRJO said:

No, that’s not how this works. 

I just assumed that for pocket change, and not rolls/bags, that there would invariably be some contact or scuff  marks that would not be consistent with MS coins that were not actually "circulated". I think Coinbuf gave a pretty good explanation. I gotta start checking my pocket change for that elusive 2009-D MS-68 Nickel. 😆 

On 8/14/2022 at 2:35 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

PGCS guid states $10 for an MS65.

And if would actually make that grade you would have to pay PCGS between $27 and $50 for it to be worth $10.

On 9/23/2022 at 7:39 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Yep I tried three times to get a 69 but settled for a 68 . I wasn’t ever going to pay over $70 for a penny. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. Lol. 

$70 ..........No way..............You could crack one of your mint sets and send it in cheaper