• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a 1985 red book at work

7 posts in this topic

I was doing some final prep for a new employee this morning and just making sure their cube was ready.  I noticed a small red book in the corner of a drawer.  I was surprised to find a mint condition 1985 red book just sitting there.  Due to turnover we don’t know who used to sit there.  It was just odd and kind of fun to find something like that.  It has a new home in my home office bookcase. 

What type of business? Does that mean the employee was pursuing his hobby on company time or was it the case that it was work related (doubt that one)? Does this mean you need to buy a 1985 vintage coin now? Or maybe start collecting red books? 

@Zebo  There is zero connection between what my company does and coin collecting.  I suspect it was a hobby and they just had brought it to work and forgotten about.  

I think I need to do both buy a 85 coin and start collecting red books.  I saw there a a few with an impressive set of early red books. 

Any thoughts on a cool 1985 coin?  This might be the start of a type set. 

On 8/13/2022 at 6:17 PM, CoffeeTime said:

@Zebo  There is zero connection between what my company does and coin collecting.  I suspect it was a hobby and they just had brought it to work and forgotten about.  

I think I need to do both buy a 85 coin and start collecting red books.  I saw there a a few with an impressive set of early red books. 

Any thoughts on a cool 1985 coin?  This might be the start of a type set. 

Was that before the 1980’s price spike?

One thing I was always aware of... Red Books have collector value. The first edition (1936?) rather expensive back when, is probably worth  a good piece of change. The last Red Book I bought after a prolonged interval skipping the 1970's and 1980's, was the one devoted to the recovery of gold coins and bars from the S.S. CENTRAL AMERICA in late 1980's  into the early 1990's, after everything was docimented.  They described coins and bars they never knew existed.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: including name of ship.

On 8/14/2022 at 5:47 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

One thing I was always aware of... Red Books have collector value. The first edition (1936?) rather expensive back when, is probably worth  a good piece of change. The last Red Book I bought after a prolonged interval skipping the 1970's and 1980's, was the one devoted to the recovery of gold coins and bars from the S.S. CENTRAL AMERICA in late 1980's  into the early 1990's, after everything was docimented.  They described coins and bars they never knew existed.

FYI

The first edition of the Redbook was dated 1947

https://www.redbookcollector.com

Edit to add

The author of the Redbook Guide frequents the various coin forums and I think he posts here occasionally.  

797561709_21VByqqDIL._AC_SY1000_.jpg.a1fcfe409c064fa3cf0e4bbafa7693d0.jpg

Edited by Oldhoopster

On 8/14/2022 at 5:47 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

The price history from the past is tough to replicate on these books.  I have the 1970 Red Book because it pre-dates the rise in gold/silver of the 1970's.  Amazing to see the prices for the coins I have interest in like Saints.