• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jefferson Nickel - Appalachian Hoard of War Nickels

45 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2022 at 7:37 PM, CoffeeTime said:

Did I read this correctly , that they are marketing these as the AT find but are not providing any attribution?  I could have read this wrong. Other than the novelty, how will this be “valued” in a few years?  It not the Titanic or another famous wreck. 

I don't know what you mean by "marketing these as AT" but the value of the Appalachians has remained consistently high despite all of the AT allegations for decades.  Unlike the Peacock IKEs, NGC has never disavowed the Appalachian Hoard, and I have seen some even crossed into PCGS holders for the FS designation (see link below).

1945-S 5C MS67+ Full Steps PCGS.

On 8/12/2022 at 7:36 PM, Simple Collector said:

I have a set of supposed submission numbers for this hoard. I do not recall where I got them and they may or may not be correct.  I have 291239, 291240, 291279, 271281, 207335 and 207281. Based on the dash numbers, I have seen coins that are as high as 046 against one submission number. I am also not sure if it was ever determined how many submitters there may have been.

The first 4 submission numbers are the original Appalachian Hoard which were all holdered in generation 8 NGC slabs that were only used in August/September of 2000.  The submission numbers starting with 207 were submitted later and all reside in later slabs.  Legend has it that the second submission showed evidence of the use of mesh to submerge the coins in an aqueous solution during the AT process.  I have only ever owned two of these coins.  One of them looked like an original Appalachian, the other looked hinky and had that mesh pattern on the reverse.  Both are shown below.

MRfob59.jpgEZzEITA.jpgQ1EChHs.jpg47z6AM4.jpg

On 8/30/2022 at 3:05 PM, lehigh96 said:

I did not, you were a hoot, I loved having you around.  I know you preferred white coins, but IIRC, you loved the 1960's toned proof Jefferson Nickels from the cellophane packs.

peOfepd.jpg

Blue ‘62’s. 

On 8/30/2022 at 3:16 PM, lehigh96 said:

Aneurism?  No!  People have been calling the Appalachian Jefferson Nickels AT since they appeared on the market in 2000.  In fact, Bob Campbell (the ANA President 2001-2003 not Robec) made a grading video where he specifically called out the Appalachians as AT in his tutorial.  I simply disagree with the assertion that they are AT.  I have owned dozens of these coins over the years, and none of them looked hinky in hand, none of them have ever turned, and I have seen other war nickels with similar color schemes, just not as vibrant as most of the Appalachians.

The Bob Campbell who is with ICG and doesn’t own even one single shirt that fits him?

On 8/30/2022 at 3:36 PM, lehigh96 said:

The first 4 submission numbers are the original Appalachian Hoard which were all holdered in generation 8 NGC slabs that were only used in August/September of 2000.  The submission numbers starting with 207 were submitted later and all reside in later slabs.  Legend has it that the second submission showed evidence of the use of mesh to submerge the coins in an aqueous solution during the AT process.  I have only ever owned two of these coins.  One of them looked like an original Appalachian, the other looked hinky and had that mesh pattern on the reverse.  Both are shown below.

MRfob59.jpgEZzEITA.jpgQ1EChHs.jpg47z6AM4.jpg

Thanks @lehigh96. Appreciate you taking a look and providing the info.

I'm not a nickel or Appalachian buff, but didn't PCGS and NGC stop grading or cross grading these coins because it was determined that they were AT?

On 9/1/2022 at 2:52 PM, EagleRJO said:

I'm not a nickel or Appalachian buff, but didn't PCGS and NGC stop grading or cross grading these coins because it was determined that they were AT?

Yes they did. But some still exist and once in a while they do come up for sale. I think the initial group of nickels submitted were never confirmed to be AT. There were lots of people on both sides of the fence.

On 8/30/2022 at 1:09 PM, Simple Collector said:

Looking through some war nickels on ebay the other day and low and behold this one popped up. Based on the certification, it appears to be from the Appalachian Hoard. Pictures of the coin are terrible. Cannot wait to see in hand!

1944-P Appalachian Hoard.png

So the nickel I found arrived today and I have attached my attempt at pictures showing the colors. In hand no doubt this one was from the hoard! Probably from the second group as it has the mesh pattern on the reverse.

1944-P Jefferson Nickel NGC MS66 STAR Obverse Cert 207335-028 App Hoard.jpg

1944-P Jefferson Nickel NGC MS66 STAR Reverse Cert 207335-028 App Hoard.jpg

If they are coming back in coin body bags from NGC an PCGS it would make me pause. But I do like the toning of some even if it's AT.

Too bad they didn't hoard/tone any dollar or half dollar coins, since that is what I really focus on besides circulated quarters, as long as they were appropriately discounted as an impaired coin going in eyes wide open.

Edited by EagleRJO

I truly believe that the more we learn about toning, the more coins will be adjudged to be Artificial Toning. I strongly believe the outright MAJORITY of coins that people have paid premium prices for have been AT. The exception is burlap bagged Morgans. 

I have quite a few of the gold tone nickels not of this hoard per say and many look quite natural and a few that look iffy. What VKurtB said for Morgans ,could also suggest the reverse marks on the nickels are from a canvas bank bags. Not likely but who can say. I live near the ocean and many salt marshes are around. Being in construction my whole life in this area I have found the sulfur air from the marshes change colors of items inside and outside on houses near marshes. I wonder if I take my coins and bury them in the marsh will they tone:roflmao: 

My '72 Nova SS had what i called toning on it... the wanted to charge me $3500 to fix it....... I was like geeesh can i just get a sticker to put over it??