• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth grading

6 posts in this topic

These coins are essentially pocket change!  (I see no reason why you would think they are mint errors). Why would you want to spend $19 apiece (NGC's grading fee for "modern" coins dated after 1964) plus a $10 processing fee, plus shipping costs?  

If you want to be a coin collector, which can be very enjoyable, it is essential that you educate yourself about coins.  I recommend that you purchase a copy of A Guide Book of United States Coins (newest edition dated 2023), commonly known as the "Redbook", which may be available at bookstores or directly from its publisher at whitman.com. This book contains a great deal of essential information, although the pricing may not be up to date. You will also need to learn how to grade coins.  I recommend The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins (7th ed. 2013), available from Whitman and other retailers.  There is also an online photographic grading guide at www.pcgs.com.  Look at the bottom of the page under "Resources" for "PCGS Photograde". Both the NGC and PCGS websites have online information about every U.S. coin and its retail pricing. You will also have to gain in-person experience by looking at a variety of the coins you wish to collect at venues such as coin shows and coin clubs.  I've just scratched the surface here, but this should give you a good start.