• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Quiz With No Correct Answer

104 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 6:09 PM, J P Mashoke said:

It is going to be a fun hunt to get those 09's in my registry set ,

Also VKurtB  it is very hard to find any Nickels after 2006 without bag marks in rolls and even a lot of the MS coins I have seen are peppered with them. The edges are just to sharp right out of the shoot they mark up.

Interesting. I have to look again. 2006-2010 will be a challenge because the sets from 2005-2010 are matte and the 2005’s were widely saved. From 2011 on, really nice pieces can be cut from mint sets. The 2022 ones are insanely nice. 

I dont know what it is about my geographic location but I find mostly P's in all denominations. Ive never really looked for the 2009 nickels. Didnt know they was that hard to find. Ill have to start looking. But I had a time findind D state quarters for my album. Searched through literally dozens of Ps for each D of a certain state. The earliest Jefferson nickel Ive ever found was in the 50s. I found a 39 in some coins passed down to my wife from a family member but it was heavily circulated.  It would grade Good at best. 

On 8/10/2022 at 3:42 PM, VKurtB said:

Question: If you went to a bank and bought a box of rolled nickels, ($100 I think) and checked the dates of all the coins, which date, FOR WHERE YOU LIVE, would be less likely to be in there, 1939(P) or 2009P? How about 2009D?

Wait, there can be a correct answer to that ... for ME where I live ... [Duck]

On 8/10/2022 at 7:32 PM, EagleRJO said:

Wait, there can be a correct answer to that ... for ME where I live ... [Duck]

Well, what is it? We’re waiting. 
0D24B25F-1F6B-40D3-BFE4-281010C25557.thumb.jpeg.f1dae0256ca0bf593cba13d15967e6ab.jpeg

On 8/10/2022 at 8:56 PM, VKurtB said:

2009D ;)

I seem to get more P coins around me, and not so many D.  Like for the 50 State quarters I started adding to I am missing quite a few D coins (I just had one per state, almost all P).

Edited by EagleRJO

I just went and looked through the change in my truck and P=55, D=35. That's pretty common for my area, more P than D coins but I'll usually get both back in change on a single transaction. No 2009's. :(

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The nickels and other coins dated 2009 are destined to have the same history as the 1950-D nickel. These were widely hoarded in BU rolls and are thus common in MS but were seldom seen in circulation.

I started collecting Jeffersons from circulation in the mid 1960s and never found a 1950(P) or 1950-D. I suppose the Philly coin was perceived as scarce by association, and the publicity given 1950-D nickels by the non-numismatic media led to many persons saving every nickel of that date.

On 8/11/2022 at 8:28 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

@VKurtB, all the 1939P nickels I've found this week. 

20220811_091804.thumb.jpg.230f9a490f7ee701aae615349cbe5262.jpg

So? 

Have you checked them for the two reverse varieties?

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/11/2022 at 1:24 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

I was only aware of the ddo. So they've been checked for that one. 

The Reverse of 1938 and the Reverse of 1940. The waviness of the steps is the 38. The more straight steps are the 40. 

On 8/11/2022 at 2:26 PM, VKurtB said:

The Reverse of 1938 and the Reverse of 1940. The waviness of the steps is the 38. The more straight steps are the 40. 

Thank you for the education. I had no idea either had a ddo. Both Philadelphia mint? 

On 8/11/2022 at 1:32 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Thank you for the education. I had no idea either had a ddo. Both Philadelphia mint? 

The two types of reverses are from all three mints. In Philly, the majority are Reverse of 1940; in Denver, they’re roughly equal; in San Fran, the majority are Reverse of 1938. But both reverses do exist in all three mints. 

On 8/11/2022 at 1:35 PM, VKurtB said:

The two types of reverses are from all three mints. In Philly, the majority are Reverse of 1940; in Denver, they’re roughly equal; in San Fran, the majority are Reverse of 1938. But both reverses do exist in all three mints. 

Only Philly has the famous DDR. 

On 8/10/2022 at 8:56 PM, VKurtB said:

You gave me a good laugh with that reply recalling how funny I thought that movie was. :grin:

On 8/11/2022 at 2:35 PM, VKurtB said:

I looked it up on variety vista, i can't even see what they're pointing out on a legit example, let alone this munged up circulation find i got. Me peepers isn't so young, ya know? I'll wait and see what younger eyes have to say, later on. Thank you though. I use usacoinbook to look up everything, so if it's not listed there, i figure it doesn't exist. Who knew? 

On 8/11/2022 at 1:47 PM, EagleRJO said:

You gave me a good laugh with that reply recalling how funny I thought that movie was. :grin:

I literally have dozens of similar stills just waiting for the appropriate moment. 

“Big hitter, the Lama.”

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/11/2022 at 1:48 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

I looked it up on variety vista, i can't even see what they're pointing out on a legit example, let alone this munged up circulation find i got. Me peepers isn't so young, ya know? I'll wait and see what younger eyes have to say, later on. Thank you though. I use usacoinbook to look up everything, so if it's not listed there, i figure it doesn't exist. Who knew? 

You might be the only guy using that as your “go to” book. 

On 8/11/2022 at 2:53 PM, VKurtB said:

You might be the only guy using that as your “go to” book. 

Just another thing that makes me unique around here. Awesome. And it's a website, not a book! Clearly i can't read books. 

On 8/11/2022 at 2:35 PM, VKurtB said:

Interesting that there are that many varieties for the 1939 nickel.  Hopefully you learn something new every day.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:48 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

I use usacoinbook to look up everything, so if it's not listed there, i figure it doesn't exist. Who knew? 

I also use USA Coin Book, but just as a quick reference, with the Red Book as the source.  So far, they have been close, with maybe USA CB just missing a few varieties.  The interesting thing is that the RB also only has one per mint plus the DDR for the 1939 nickel, and you have to go to say CoinFacts to see all the varieties.  Maybe not considered significant by the RB, although that would be strange.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/11/2022 at 1:32 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

There is also a QDR (Quadrupled Die Reverse) for the 39P but it isn’t as popular or desirable as the DDR. In my opinion the 39 S REV OF 40 is one of the true key date coins in the series. You just don’t see them very often. I’m still searching for that one. 

Edited by Lem E

On 8/11/2022 at 3:09 PM, EagleRJO said:

Interesting that there are that many varieties for the 1939 nickel.  Hopefully you learn something new every day.

I also use USA Coin Book to as a quick reference, with the Red Book as the source.  So far, they have been close, with maybe USA CB just missing a few varieties.  The interesting thing is that the RB also only has one per mint plus the DDR for the 1939 nickel, and you have to go to say CoinFacts to see all the varieties.  Maybe not considered significant by the RB, although that would be strange.

Well thank you for backing me up, kind sir! That big meanie @VKurtB was gonna gang up on me, and you cut him off at the pass! 

All joking aside, i find usacoinbook to be very valuable for any sort of quick look up. Mintage, whatever. And they do list the very prevalent varieties. A filled S, stuff like that. So it works for me, and that's all i can ask for. 

On 8/11/2022 at 3:16 PM, Lem E said:

There is also a QDR (Quadrupled Die Reverse) for the 39P but it isn’t as popular or desirable as the DDR. In my opinion the 39 S REV OF 40 is one of the true key date coins in the series. You just don’t see them very often. I’m still searching for that one. 

I'm easily confused. It's a 1939S with the reverse of a 40? Hmmmm

On 8/11/2022 at 3:20 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

I'm easily confused. It's a 1939S with the reverse of a 40? Hmmmm

all 1939 nickels have two reverses... 1938 and 1940.  These reverse varieties are based on the definition within the sides of the walls to the steps.  The 40 is much more defined.

image.jpeg.3466897cba44963fea8e80d0aeb16960.jpeg

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist
picture worth 1000 words

On 8/11/2022 at 3:22 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

all 1939 nickels have two reverses... 1938 and 1940.  These reverse varieties are based on the definition within the sides of the walls to the steps.  The 40 is much more defined.

image.jpeg.3466897cba44963fea8e80d0aeb16960.jpeg

Holy mackerel. That's the only way to tell, on an 80 year old nickel? Not happening in the wild, sorry friends. But thank you for the tip @The Neophyte Numismatist, always appreciated. 

On 8/11/2022 at 2:29 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Holy mackerel. That's the only way to tell, on an 80 year old nickel? Not happening in the wild, sorry friends. But thank you for the tip @The Neophyte Numismatist, always appreciated. 

As far as I know this is the only way to tell the difference in reverses. If there is another diagnostic, I would certainly like to know what it is. 

On 8/11/2022 at 3:29 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

You bet.  Glad to help.  I think I actually learned this from @Lem E (Thanks).  Anyway... you never know about what may turn-up in the wild.  People are emptying Grandpa's change jug everyday.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 8/11/2022 at 3:35 PM, Lem E said:

As far as I know this is the only way to tell the difference in reverses. If there is another diagnostic, I would certainly like to know what it is. 

That's a tough one. You see the condition of those nickels i have coming in. Be very hard for me to tell. The 40 is the more rare? But it's easier to spot?