• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Treasurer of U.S. Mint

4 posts in this topic

Tristram Dalton, Esq.

Philadelphia

December 16, 1791

The President of the United States

Sir:

Having twice already intruded upon your important time, I feel a great reluctance in addressing you, Sir, again on my own account.

A Bill for establishing a Mint being before the Honorable Senate, in which an Office of Director is designated, I am induced to propose myself a candidate therefor, when the Bill shall have become a Law, and I beg leave to add, that, if it should be convenient with your arrangements the appointment to that Place would be very agreeable to me – and accepted with gratitude.

In every Event, I am, with all possible respect,

Your most obedient and humble servant. 

Tristram Dalton

The previous February, Dalton asked to be appointed Post Master General, but did not get the position. Dalton was appointed Treasurer of the U. S. Mint May 4, 1792 and remained until he resigned on April 23, 1794. 

Edited by RWB

[Now I know from whom I picked up that phrase, "your most obedient and humble servant." Great piece!]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Add closing bracket.