• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to find Catherine the Great 5 Kopek graded coins
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Title says it all. I am working on putting together the entire collection. The EM mint coins are relatively easy to find, especially on ebay. Would anyone have some recommendations on where to find other coins from the set like from St. Petersburg or the Moscow mints for example? Thank you!

Ordinarily, I would go directly there and pick 'em up myself for you--anything for a fellow member, I always say--but in this case, all the bad press about Russia has persuaded me to do the honorable thing and admit publicly, at heart, I am a coward. They'd grab the Rooster meister, 🐓, charge him with something, anything (to the eternal delight of my detractors) and let the lady go back home and play ball.  If I change my mind, you'll be the first to know.  :baiting:

I’m pretty sure those large coppers are not graded in any huge numbers. I own several and none of them are graded by anyone but me. And that’s good enough. 

On 8/6/2022 at 10:47 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m pretty sure those large coppers are not graded in any huge numbers. I own several and none of them are graded by anyone but me. And that’s good enough. 

Whew! That was thisclose. A late-nite reprieve. Now I can rest up at home. Tks!

On 8/6/2022 at 10:11 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

They don’t fit in a standard size slab and the big ones get quite expensive. Not every owner wants to pull that trigger. 

You could try MA shops.  Lots of European dealers use that platform.  It seemed like lots of these became available in the early 2000s, but I'm not sure how many were in high grades and if they got slabbed.  

Most of my hoard of different dates and mints.  

1063776732_IMG_1129(2).thumb.JPG.e43fde30e220258abd9ce6c4b4bd688c.JPG

On 8/6/2022 at 10:47 PM, VKurtB said:

On 8/7/2022 at 9:13 AM, Oldhoopster said:

You could try MA shops.  Lots of European dealers use that platform.  It seemed like lots of these became available in the early 2000s, but I'm not sure how many were in high grades and if they got slabbed.  

Most of my hoard of different dates and mints.  

1063776732_IMG_1129(2).thumb.JPG.e43fde30e220258abd9ce6c4b4bd688c.JPG

MA-SHOPS is a good suggestion for foreign and beats having to feel obligated to take a trip to Russia. [They have a U.S. office, coincidentally or not, in Sarasota, but I believe their focus is limited to U.S. coins.]

Those coins look massive! The closest thing I ever had to them was a 1797 copper three-pence, I believe. A really nice one fit for display in a museum cost me a bit in the late 60's (but, then again, I was only a teenager). BTW, if NGC can holder a holder within a holder for that intact GSA oddity, I would imagine they would be delighted to immortalize your giant 5-Kopek set-in-progress.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Routine die-polishing: correct typo

On 8/7/2022 at 8:34 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

MA-SHOPS is a good suggestion for foreign and beats having to feel obligated to take a trip to Russia. [They have a U.S. office, coincidentally or not, in Sarasota, but I believe their focus is limited to U.S. coins.]

Those coins look massive! The closest thing I ever had to them was a 1797 copper three-pence, I believe. A really nice one fit for display in a museum cost me a bit in the late 60's (but, then again, I was only a teenager). BTW, if NGC can holder a holder within a holder for that intact GSA oddity, I would imagine they would be delighted to immortalize your giant 5-Kopek set-in-progress.

Wasn’t the 1797 “puck” a tuppence?

On 8/11/2022 at 10:03 PM, Conder101 said:

It was, and just a little larger than the 5 kopeck.  About 56.5 grams compared to 51.2 grams.  You want something a little larger go for the Siberian 10 Kopeck 65.5 grams

...im still pushing for the Yap coin registry, but slabbing is still a hindrance n my mailman said no way....