• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JP's Nickels
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Some more nice adds to the set JP. Seems like I have seen more heavily toned 46 nickels from all 3 mints than any others. Not quite sure why that is. Don’t know if it is from returning to the original composition and it was a little off or what. Just an observation from searching Jeffs over the years. Anyway, congrats on the newps.

On 8/4/2022 at 3:44 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I got some new members for the Nickel set. A very nice 1946 S a clean sharp looking coin. Also got a  gold toned 1975 D. Looking at it I was thinking it was encapsulated to soon . It was still starting to turn on the reverse. I wonder if it will continue to change now it is in plastic ? I doubt it.

1946 S +.jpg

1946 S reverse.jpg

1975 D +.jpg

1975 D reverse.jpg

Fantastic looking coins. I'm new to all the terminology. So a "set" needs to be slabbed to be a set. What I'm doing is just filling books. Like i said, if you need any raw circulated nickels, i can supply, lol. 

On 8/9/2022 at 11:29 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

JP your collection is really shaping-up.  I am really loving the coins!

Thanks Neo, I'm just doing my best to find good looking 66s or FS coins. I will be going out searching later this week and we will see if I can find a few.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:26 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

Fantastic looking coins. I'm new to all the terminology. So a "set" needs to be slabbed to be a set. What I'm doing is just filling books. Like i said, if you need any raw circulated nickels, i can supply, lol. 

Most of the time we are talking about a NGC Registry Set, CJ. I have a few sets I am working on. If you want to make one you have to use NGC or PCGS slabed coins to get the point standings. I think you can make custom sets also but I have not made one for raw coins yet.

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 8/10/2022 at 5:34 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Most of the time when we talking about a NGC Registry Set, CJ. I have a few sets I am working on. If you want to make one you have to use NGC or PCGS slabed coins to get the point standings. I think you can make custom sets also but I have not made one for raw coins yet.

Another early riser, good to know. I won't ever be making any sets, as you have to pay for slabbed coins, lol. But i look forward to seeing yours! Have a great day! 

Ya been getting up for work at 5 every day for over 50 years even in retirement it is hard to sleep in. LoL If you go to the NGC registry tab I think you can see my Nickel sets I am working on they are called JP's Nickels. 

On 8/10/2022 at 5:27 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Thanks Neo, I'm just doing my best to find good looking 66s or FS coins. I will be going out searching later this week and we will see if I can find a few.

You are doing great.  I remember when you started, but you have gone into overdrive and are rising up through the ranks quickly.  This is a HUGE set (as you know), and quite an accomplishment.  One day, I may get the guts to take it on, but I will admire yours until then! :golfclap:

On 8/10/2022 at 9:09 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

You are doing great.  I remember when you started, but you have gone into overdrive and are rising up through the ranks quickly.  This is a HUGE set (as you know), and quite an accomplishment.  One day, I may get the guts to take it on, but I will admire yours until then! :golfclap:

Thanks I am getting down there I started out in March of 2021 at 450 in the NGC registry. I am down to 69 on my full set. It takes a lot of shopping around trying to get coins at 30 to 50 % of the asking price. If I had to pay full price I would  be impossible for my pocketbook. 

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 8/10/2022 at 5:47 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

I won't ever be making any sets, as you have to pay for slabbed coins, lol.

@CoinJockey73You only need slabbed coins for the NGC Registry "Competitive" Sets.  You can do your own sets with raw coins under the NGC Registry "Custom" Sets.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7261/

I am doing a NGC Custom Set for Circulated Coins - Morgan Dollars, and they are almost all raw coins, which is what I prefer.

On 8/10/2022 at 6:16 PM, EagleRJO said:

@CoinJockey73You only need slabbed coins for the NGC Registry "Competitive" Sets.  You can do your own sets with raw coins under the NGC Registry "Custom" Sets.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7261/

I am doing a NGC Custom Set for Circulated Coins - Morgan Dollars, and they are almost all raw coins, which is what I prefer.

Thank you very much for this! 

On 8/10/2022 at 5:57 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Ya been getting up for work at 5 every day for over 50 years even in retirement it is hard to sleep in. LoL If you go to the NGC registry tab I think you can see my Nickel sets I am working on they are called JP's Nickels. 

I'm up by 4am, every morning, no matter what. Something ain't right with me brain pan. I'll check out your set as soon as i can. Enjoy your Thursday.