• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there an extra crack in this Liberty Bell?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Not a crack.  

Hard to tell from the pics but it looks incuse.  Just based on the pics, I would have guessed a scratch.  However, it's in a slab so that should have put it in a Details holder (assuming the seller would have noted that). Maybe its a minor strike through

IMO, if the pics are bad and there is something on the coin that I can't identify, I'll pass on it.  No need to buy someone else's problem coin and go through the hassle of returning it.  

Thanks Hoopster. I will pass in it as bidding is up to $55. I have a 1951 Ben raw coin that could possible be graded as an MS64FBL but with grading costs it becomes a borderline decision. It remains the only Benjamin D that I don’t have. At least in graded form. I also think it’s a scratch or gouge but have to wonder why something that obvious wasn’t noted during grading and still managed an Ms64?

thanks again

On 8/3/2022 at 3:08 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Thanks Hoopster. I will pass in it as bidding is up to $55. I have a 1951 Ben raw coin that could possible be graded as an MS64FBL but with grading costs it becomes a borderline decision. It remains the only Benjamin D that I don’t have. At least in graded form. I also think it’s a scratch or gouge but have to wonder why something that obvious wasn’t noted during grading and still managed an Ms64?

thanks again

Yes if it was graded as a FBL would someone not see there is a mark through the bell lines ???

On 8/4/2022 at 4:54 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Yes if it was graded as a FBL would someone not see there is a mark through the bell lines ???

Maybe a strike through of a cat’s whisker. 

Eagle the seller to two different reverse photos in his ad. The PCGS reverse clearly shows a crack. The other picture of the reverse does not. Something fishy there. I’ve contacted the seller and he’s declining knowledge. Avoiding!

A485D247-6BB4-4458-BD4A-2FCA7313BF41.png

Actually, looking at pic 3 closely there seems to be different contact marks vs pic 2, so that may be a different coin.  And a non-responsive seller is a good indication.