• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1800 Draped Silver dollar help
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Was just gifted this 1800 Draped Silver dollar. New to the coin game and not sure if I should grade then sell? Or hold it. Also is there Doubling on the last zero? Any help would be great

389D7765-9964-44FD-BB2E-D2EE621D9B02.jpeg

4156C3B3-7DA6-4170-A0E8-CD28C5A6EB2C.jpeg

Edited by Nysmith9

Welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to inform you that your coin is a fake. You did not show a picture of the reverse, but there is enough evidence on the obverse to show that it is not real. Compare your coin to the picture below. Pay close attention to the hair detail. That should be all you need to convince you that your coin does not match a real one.

(Picture courtesy of our host)

5743241-008obvo.jpg

Do you have a copy of the Guide Book of United States Coins? If you do, then compare photos. as YB or CS once said "You can lean a lot just by looking."

Sorry about your coin not being real.  And that "0" on the obverse date is a total red flag.

Still looks okay, even if it isn't real.  And I have started collecting reproductions and fakes in a separate set, like the Dan Carr Morgan and Peace dollars.  I just hope I don't have to add any of my own coins (purchased like they were the real deal since I get mostly raw coins) to that set.  :insane: