• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need help grading this 1891 One dollar coin

11 posts in this topic

I'm going through a my families coin collection. This collection came from a great great uncle that owned a bank and collected coins for many years. He lived to be 94.  I promise you this coin has not been cleaned. None of the coins that post have been cleaned. My great great uncle knew what he was doing.

Edited by FTW

On 7/16/2022 at 4:11 PM, FTW said:

I'm going through a my families coin collection. This collection came from a great great uncle that owned a bank and collected coins for many years. He lived to be 94.  I promise you this coin has not been cleaned. None of the coins that post have been cleaned. My great great uncle knew what he was doing.

Maybe your great great uncle knew what he was doing, but this coin has been cleaned by someone. 

Thank you for your help. This is why I post my questions here. I can count on someone to know and help me. I take back my promise. 

I would say Choice Very Fine (30 or 35) to Extremely Fine (40) for this 1891 Morgan dollar.  The glossiness suggests--as others have noted--that the coin has been improperly "cleaned' in some way, although this can't be determined from any photograph. ("Cleaned" in this context means that some abrasive or chemical process has altered the coin's surface, giving it an unnatural appearance.)  Please be advised that many practices that were accepted by collectors of years ago such as your uncle are regarded as unacceptable today.  

If you have a large number of coins to grade but don't want to purchase a printed grading guide, you may want to go to the PCGS website (www.pcgs.com) and click on "PCGS Photograde" under "Resources" near the bottom of the page.  (NGC doesn't presently have a photographic grading guide.) 

The pics are a little blurry so it's hard to say, but I am kind of in the middle of other ppl on grade and either (1) it's an XF-35 but those are very blurry pics, or (2) it's a VF-25 to VF-30 with somewhat even wear of the details (e.g. hair line on obv and eagle and crescent around the eagle on rev).  The latter is more likely.

Edited by EagleRJO

It’s the fact that the deepest recesses are so dark, and the higher points so light that argues for having been cleaned. 

On 7/16/2022 at 8:53 PM, VKurtB said:

It’s the fact that the deepest recesses are so dark, and the higher points so light that argues for having been cleaned. 

That is the exact reason cleaned came to my mind.