• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 d wheat penny off metal

6 posts in this topic

Off metal coin i found at the local antique store.  I paid 3$ for it just because it appears as a genuine error in my opinion.  ItsvNon magnetic.  Weighs 3.00 grams.  Appears to be an improper alloy mixture consisting of mostly tin or zinc and very little copper. Is this something that would be recognized as an error? Is it worth getting authenticated/graded? How collectible/rare if it is authentic off metal error? Did i overpay? Any other thoughts or comments?

20220711_192502.jpg

20220711_193043.jpg

Edited by Calmostar84

Agreed it may well be a mercury plated coin, popular high school science experiment many years ago.   Highly unlikely to be an off metal coin.

Since this coin is 95% copper and 5% tin/zinc, if it were plated it should weigh more, not less, I think.but if the surface was removed ,  say by acid, it would weigh less.

nevertheless, it is post mint damage, and even if it were a DDO or a BIE variety, it would have been deemed relatively worth 1c

It was plated.  The plating can be thin and add negligible weight. In addition the standard weight tolerance for a cent is 2.98-3.24 grams so it may have started on the low end of the weight spec. Also depends on how well your scale is calibrated and leveled.