• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Three Days Next to CONECA
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I saw the “live version” of newbie YouTube inspired error cherrypickers for three days at Orlando. One “dude” looked like a quintessential California surfer dude with long stringy hair, a diamond stud earring and I swear he said “Awesome!” about 50 times. Mid-thirties or so. He unwrapped a rubber band around about 50 2x2’s and got a HARD education from CONECA about what is, and is not, a true error coin. He had a whole buncha nuthin that he thought was the cat’s nuts. It hurt to watch his bubble burst. 

There simply is NO AREA OF NUMISMATICS in which enthusiasm overwhelms knowledge as much as in errors and varieties. Stay away from YouTube, PLEEEEZE? It will simply misinform you and rot your brain. 

Want me to get specific? Okay. Couch Collectibles is a stinking embarrassment. 

Edited by VKurtB

I believe a strict interpretation of Old Hoop's Law forbids me from dwelling on it, but I am curious, has news of the latest Omicron variety, oops, variant, BA.5, manifested itself in any way at FUN, i.e., encouraged attendees to revert to mask-wearing, reluctance to shake hands, or in any other way?  The news I have read, daily, indicates this new wave is stronger, exhibits different symptoms--and this is important: does NOT distinguish between those who've been vaxed/boosted, and those who have not. Have you seen or heard anything at FUN, or any where else?

Covid-19 will continue to produce variants or greater or lesser transmissibility until the unvaccinated come to their senses or they die.

I follow Alex Berenson on Twitter who was wrongly suspended and recently reinstated.  He is on target.  And people are still getting vaxxed with the first Wuhan strain?

Also this is an interesting overview of overview of over 1000 peer reviewed papers:  https://community.covidvaccineinjuries.com/compilation-peer-reviewed-medical-papers-of-covid-vaccine-injuries/

We should have learned in 2007-8 how the turnstile works between industry and the agencies.

On 7/12/2022 at 11:27 AM, VKurtB said:

I saw the “live version” of newbie YouTube inspired error cherrypickers for three days at Orlando. One “dude” looked like a quintessential California surfer dude with long stringy hair, a diamond stud earring and I swear he said “Awesome!” about 50 times. Mid-thirties or so. He unwrapped a rubber band around about 50 2x2’s and got a HARD education from CONECA about what is, and is not, a true error coin. He had a whole buncha nuthin that he thought was the cat’s nuts. It hurt to watch his bubble burst. 

There simply is NO AREA OF NUMISMATICS in which enthusiasm overwhelms knowledge as much as in errors and varieties. Stay away from YouTube, PLEEEEZE? It will simply misinform you and rot your brain. 

Want me to get specific? Okay. Couch Collectibles is a stinking embarrassment. 

Was the dude Spinoza?  The whole error craze is driving me nuts. 

On 7/12/2022 at 3:26 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I believe a strict interpretation of Old Hoop's Law forbids me from dwelling on it, but I am curious, has news of the latest Omicron variety, oops, variant, BA.5, manifested itself in any way at FUN, i.e., encouraged attendees to revert to mask-wearing, reluctance to shake hands, or in any other way?  The news I have read, daily, indicates this new wave is stronger, exhibits different symptoms--and this is important: does NOT distinguish between those who've been vaxed/boosted, and those who have not. Have you seen or heard anything at FUN, or any where else?

There were ZERO outward signs of COVID at Orlando, or in northern Alabama. I literally saw not one single person “en masque”, to coin a phrase, in Orlando. Everyone was shaking hands, and even hugs were in order. Heck, there weren’t even any mosquitos in the International Drive neighborhood. HOWEVER, the ANA Summer Seminar in late June in Colorado Springs seems to have suffered a COVID spreader event. There was even speculation they might have to cancel the second week. They didn’t. 

I have two original Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines on board plus two boosters. I follow medical advice well or I risk death from multiple sources. I’ve lived the past 13+ years 10 missed days of medications from a pine box. But I have not let COVID deter me from traveling around the country, and I will not. I moved from Pennsylvania at THE VERY HEIGHT of COVID. I got married during COVID. I’ve flown MULTIPLE times during COVID. I’ve taken Amtrak interstate during maximum COVID. I bought a house the old-fashioned way during COVID. I do not live in fear.

I have never had COVID, of any letter of the Greek alphabet, unless I brought an early case home from Britain in December of 2019. That sure was a monster cold. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/12/2022 at 8:40 PM, Coinbuf said:

Wow this thread got derailed quickly.

...especially the part of going down the twitter-hole, dodged a bullet there...i think the moral of this thread is...coins 1 covid 0, but im not sure...but learned that covid is a greek letter? who knew?...the real positive of the thread from the op is that the persons who couldnt or didnt get to go got an insight into the coin market thru vkurts perspective n observations which seem to be perceptive to me....

On 7/12/2022 at 8:05 PM, zadok said:

but learned that covid is a greek letter? who knew?.

Every variant is a Greek letter. Alpha, delta, omicron…

On 7/12/2022 at 9:24 PM, VKurtB said:

Every variant is a Greek letter. Alpha, delta, omicron…

Very fraternityish.

On 7/12/2022 at 8:27 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Very fraternityish.

I didn’t do fraternity life when I was in college. Too expected and not original enough. I was a counter counter culturalist. I was anti the anti everything. This was the Viet Nam era. I never knew ANYONE who protested squat. Besides, Nixon and Ford were my “homies”.

Edited by VKurtB

BTW, I stayed at a quite low budget Clarion hotel. By APPEARANCE only, if I was gonna catch some heinous disease in Orlando, that would look like the source. But all was fine. 700 miles driven each way. When I left home, I had two warning lights on my old beater car’s dashboard. By the time I burned through 12 gallons of fuel, both were extinguished. The old girl only needed to get out and gallop. I filled up in Waycross, GA for $3.799 per gallon. 

Edited by VKurtB

Neither did I, but in NYC, everything seems to be fair game.  I am happy to hear all was well at the show, but this Omicron reference bothers me...

Toward the end of a tome, collectively written, a seemingly collaborative effort, appears (and posting this may be a Guidelines violation):  "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last...."  So where exactly does Omicron fit in. (Some Greek letters were skipped.)  I believe all appreciate your signature style of reporting. The "This is me" post was a classic!

Edit: Omicron is the 15th letter of the 24-letter alphabet (which does not conform to alphabetization as we know it).

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Major Die Polishing: additional of edit.

On 7/12/2022 at 8:47 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Neither did I, but in NYC, everything seems to be fair game.  I am happy to hear all was well at the show, but this Omicron reference bothers me...

Toward the end of a tome, collectively written, a seemingly collaborative effort, appears (and posting this may be a Guidelines violation):  "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last...."  So where exactly does Omicron fit in. (Some Greek letters were skipped.)  I believe all appreciate your signature style of reporting. The "This is me" post was a classic!

Today’s run down to Birmingham has kicked my rump worse than the Orlando trip. The entourage of a German weightlifter (2022 World Games, Birmingham) graced the table next to ours for lunch.

The USUAL progression for viruses is to mutate to more transmissible but less deadly variants and become endemic.  Bird flu did that. The 1918 “Spanish” flu pandemic is just an earlier variant of H1N1. OCCASIONALLY an atypical mutation CAN (but very seldom does) create a more deadly variant. I’m an old guy who “should have died” (last rites given) 13 years ago. It’s all “sudden death overtime” to me. 

I’m looking for the Pi variant, which only approximately 3.141592654 people per state will get. 

Edited by VKurtB

As Putin said to Biden years ago, following the latter's remark to the former: "I am looking into your eyes. I don't see a soul," to which the former replied, "We understand each other, perfectly."

If Alabama were more roadside user-friendly, perhaps you would be inclined to stay put. I appreciate your dogged determination. And I can't stay put either. 

On 7/12/2022 at 9:04 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

As Putin said to Biden years ago, following the latter's remark to the former: "I am looking into your eyes. I don't see a soul," to which the former replied, "We understand each other, perfectly."

If Alabama were more roadside user-friendly, perhaps you would be inclined to stay put. I appreciate your dogged determination. And I can't stay put either. 

I’m still learning the numismatic landscape in Alabama. They can’t have coin shows during college football season. They might miss a play in a football game between the Crimson Tide and the Georgia School for the Deaf and Blind. (The SEC teams play “wuss” schedules.)

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/12/2022 at 9:31 PM, VKurtB said:

Nixon and Ford were my “homies”.

Nixon I always associated with CA. Ford I always associated with MI. [And Arrius I will always associate with: "Hortator: RAMMING SPEED! in Ben-Hur.]  :roflmao: