• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1840 seated liberty dollar
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I'm curious if anyone sees anything on this coin that screams counterfeit, it weights 26.99 grams which it just over the 26.87 max according to the weights and composition sheet I have. Thanks

WIN_20220702_18_18_16_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220702_18_18_45_Pro.jpg

I am no expert on this coin  just giving you a thought, but I wonder why it has such a dark picture ???. There is a lot of detail on the coin. Most don't show a lot of hair, foot and shield. 

By no means am I a counterfeit or fake detection expert, but I do thoroughly enjoy the study of the subject. In my humble opinion, your coin appears legitimate based off of the pictures you have supplied when compared to known certified examples. The coin does appear dark as JP stated.  The small weight discrepancy you mention could be a result of grime build-up on the coin, or your set of scales may be ever so slightly out of calibration, not uncommon. The coin does appear cleaned though which isn't a bonus, but it does appear legit to me.  

There are a couple of areas that have me wondering if this could be a cast counterfeit that has been roughed up and aged.   I cannot say for sure either way from the photos.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Sorry to be the spoiler, but it is fake. The details are soft and grainy, and the denticles are partially detached from the rims, particularly on the obverse. Images of the real thing are below.

$1 1840 o.jpg

$1 1840 r.jpg

I am not an expert in this matter, but it looks very cool! I'm not surprised that this coin is timed for liberty. I spent a lot of time writing an article about liberty discover this on a student free essay samples resource. It was the topic of my research in art. This fine line can be seen in all aspects of human life.

Edited by DarrylWood

This is a likely cast counterfeit from a mold made from an impression of a genuine circulated coin. I agree with Mr. Lange's analysis.  It is also probably thicker than a real one, which would explain the higher than legal weight. The edge reeding may be irregular, and there may be an area of tooling on the edge showing evidence of the "gate" into which the metal was poured.  It likely contains little or no silver, which you may tell by comparing the sound it makes when dropped onto a hard surface from an inch or so as compared with the "ring" of a common circulated Morgan or Peace dollar, which was struck in the same weight and composition as a Seated dollar. 

My own best (by far) Seated dollar is an 1840 PCGS graded AU 58, of which you can see photos and comments on the NGC Registry at 1840 United States $1 | NGC (ngccoin.com) (Right click on the link and left click to "open link in new tab".)

@SandonThats a nice 1840 $1 as well as the 1836 Reeded 50 Cent from another post, and I particularly liked the latter.  Looks like you have acquired quite a few nice coins over the years and assembled a lot of NGC sets, and I really liked your cleaned coins custom set (Characteristics of "Cleaned" Coins - Custom Set.

Edited by EagleRJO