• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SNAKES AND MULES
1 1

7 posts in this topic

For those partial to errors, I refer you to a recent (June 28, 2022) Coin World contribution by Bullion Shark, entitled:  "Two Dramatic U.S. Mint Error Coins in the News,"

A sneak preview... very rare 15% off-center "Grand Snake" 1882-CC Morgan dollar.... NGC graded it, MS65, and placed it inside an oversized holder "while still in the [black] GSA holder."

The second error coin is a 2000-D Sacagawea dollar obverse that was paired with a South Carolina quarter reverse graded and authenticated by PCGS (MS64)....the first time this [mule] error has been graded.

(If you, gentle reader, are mechanically-inclined, and can provide the applicable link, I would be much obliged.)

On 6/30/2022 at 5:39 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

For those partial to errors, I refer you to a recent (June 28, 2022) Coin World contribution by Bullion Shark, entitled:  "Two Dramatic U.S. Mint Error Coins in the News,"

A sneak preview... very rare 15% off-center "Grand Snake" 1882-CC Morgan dollar.... NGC graded it, MS65, and placed it inside an oversized holder "while still in the [black] GSA holder."

The second error coin is a 2000-D Sacagawea dollar obverse that was paired with a South Carolina quarter reverse graded and authenticated by PCGS (MS64)....the first time this [mule] error has been graded.

(If you, gentle reader, are mechanically-inclined, and can provide the applicable link, I would be much obliged.)

Is there ANY way the South Carolina / Sac mule could be anything other than completely intentional? In other words, criminal mischief at the Denver Mint?

On 7/4/2022 at 1:43 PM, VKurtB said:

Is there ANY way the South Carolina / Sac mule could be anything other than completely intentional? In other words, criminal mischief at the Denver Mint?

I f @Conder101 whose forte, in part, is errors, contributes his 2c, I will accept his explanation as I do not have one. 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: comment clarification.

Alignment keys on dollar dies are supposed to differ from those on quarter dies (or any other denomination.)

As for the off-center dollar, excellent coin. Stupid nickname.

On 7/13/2022 at 6:23 PM, Conder101 said:

It could be accidental, but the odds against it being accidental would be extremely high.

I ACCEPT YOUR EXPLANATION!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: to complete the thought.