• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First gold from North Carolina - 1803 ?
2 2

8 posts in this topic

This is very neat - a 28 pound nugget! The letter seems to be the second of those sent to the mint department, but it doesn't appear to be the first. The mention of another piece would disprove that. It may be the first surviving letter however. Either way, that's a really cool piece of correspondence!

I love the cursive writing using sepia vs. India ink. Would not a prospector have to take his sample to a recognized assayer first before approaching the Mint?  Or were things that informal way back when? Just curious.

The US Mint was the authoritative place for assaying. Many people sent ore samples for assay. Most were just mica, pyrite, or plain old dirt.

The original ink color was black. The sepia or reddish color in the photo is an artifact of very poor color photography. The original images were underexposed and made under low-wattage tungsten lights, but with the camera set on "daylight" color balance. This produced dark orange images. To correct the paper color to something closer to normal, I had to let the ink color slide to whatever part of the spectrum it happened to land in. It is possible to isolate the color range of the ink and shift that back to black, but the amount of work necessary is not worth the result.

The amount of correct necessary for the above quality of appearance and readability is not trivial, so I have to decide if the content is worth the extra work. Much also depends on the condition of the original photo, but this is all we have for several decades.

Edited by RWB

Just for grins, here's a sample of what the original images looked like. Also, the photographer had the camera so far from the pages that they only filled about 1/4 of the frame -- thus wasting 3/4 of available resolution and producing fuzzy, grainy/pixely photos with poor resolution. The lighter vertical strip at center is white cloth binding tape -- about 235 on the 255 brightness scale.

33.thumb.jpg.e864eb3d18511442fd5f6794657b70fd.jpg

Edited by RWB

On 6/25/2022 at 5:08 PM, FlyingAl said:

Yikes, that is really bad. I'm surprised you got that to a semblance of proper color. The bad image (unedited) are expense warrants for 1795 right?

Yes,  RG104 Entry 1 Box 002 Warrants 1792–1817 located at NARA Philadelphia.

Edited by RWB