• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words... and a handful of colors
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Top pic by a dealer, bottom pic a PCGS TrueView. I was considering the coin when I saw the top pic, but after seeing the TrueView...  

1945d.thumb.jpg.048931f2889172fdf83b22fb44441692.jpg

Not familiar with Mercs, but I would think you'd be more interested after seeing the True View pics, no ?

Looks more colorful and toned in the True Views.  Looks more "scuffed" in the dealer pics but again, I'm not a great grader in general or with Mercs specifically.

On 6/23/2022 at 3:40 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Not familiar with Mercs, but I would think you'd be more interested after seeing the True View pics, no ?

Erm, maybe not. That coin could (my opinion) be used as a plate for "unattractive toning". The first pics make it look somewhat attractive, the second not at all.

On 6/23/2022 at 7:01 PM, FlyingAl said:

Erm, maybe not. That coin could (my opinion) be used as a plate for "unattractive toning". The first pics make it look somewhat attractive, the second not at all.

On the other hand, I think the coin looks attractive in both sets of pictures.

Very often TV photos have a pronounced red shift, my guess is that the coin actually looks somewhere in between the two sets of photos.   I personally do not find that coin attractive from either photo, maybe in hand would be different.

On 6/23/2022 at 7:39 PM, MarkFeld said:

On the other hand, I think the coin looks attractive in both sets of pictures.

And that is precisely why color premiums differ for each coin… it’s all opinion and that’s what makes each case special. I can entirely respect your view, even if mine differs because color is entirely subjective. It’s rather interesting to think about!

On 6/24/2022 at 5:45 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Your suspisions are correct my friend. 

...oranges 2 blues 1 ??... i suppose the tpgs could if they wanted to, include color bars in the slabs to make color determinations more accurate in subsequent photos?...ill let vkurt espouse on that, all i know bout photograpy is u r suppose to take the lens cap off....