• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2004 lewis and clark nickel error

4 posts in this topic

i have a 2004 lewis and clark nickel with an error on the mint mark. It also is missing the U in the back side like it got stamped wrong. I am new and just am so confused if i am looking for the right things haha but i thought this was pretty cool!

20220611_103553.jpg

20220611_103700.jpg

20220611_103628.jpg

20220611_103538.jpg

Welcome to the Forum

The missing P is caused by a partial grease filled die.
The mm is either damaged or also partially filled, hard to tell which, neither of which add any value but you can keep it for reference if you like.

Welcome to the site. There are a lot of these coins that have been what we call (struck through grease) Grease falls on the Die or planchet and fills in the letters or makes a void in the field of a coin . It is a fun find but not really a big error or value changer on most coins. You can see a example to the left of the sail on this coin even the guy with the hat on the boat is pointing at it. 

S20220408_0001.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

Your nickel is very nicked and banged up, so it is possible that what you see is just from the damage it has endured while in circulation.   It is also possible that some of the missing details are due to a minor striking issue called a grease strike through as others have noted.   While technically a strike through (be it grease or some foreign object) is a mint error, however, grease strike through's are very common and due to poor quality control.   As such they are not coveted by collectors, and those that do like to collect them would rather find them via roll searching rather than pay for them.   So there is no real market premium for them unless very dramatic; as someone else mentioned a good coin to keep for reference just not for any monetary value over the face value.