• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW HERE ! hello! INSIGHT AND KNOWLEDGE

5 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum, your question is quite wide open and the answers might be somewhat varied.    For myself I got started when my grandmother gave me a handful of circulated Indian head cents.   I was amazed at the design and holding something that old wondering what it had been used for me was very intriguing.   From that I took my admiration for the late president Lincoln and began my journey to complete a full set of Lincoln cents, that tied together my love of history and coins.    Along the way I have put together other sets of beautiful designs like Mercury dimes, Morgan dollars, type sets of seated and bust designs, and others.

I am a collector so I seldom sell, but when I do I have a few contacts to choose from and there are some solid auction firms like Great Collections to use also.

On 6/12/2022 at 8:22 AM, Harold Biswick said:

HELLO,

I was wondering how you got started? Where you sell? The biggest factors that interest you or to look for?

-Harold

• Found an old Barber dime.
  • In retail locations and on Ebenezer.
  • Condition, rarity, age.

I kinda started when I was young. Dad had a few old coins I used to get out and look at all the time. I really enjoyed looking through them. They were all junk such as worn indians and wheaties. A few v nickels and things like that in really worn condition. I really got started about 3 to 4 years ago. I was buying raw circulated coins from a small time dealer at a local flea market  and my intrest kept growing. Then I joined this NGC forum and started learning from the experts on here and started buying mint state coins and working on sets. 

I do not sell. Ive never sold any of my coins. I have however gave a couple friends and a couple kids a few coins to try and get them into the hobby. 

I look for attractive coins now. Mostly ones that go to the sets Im working on. Im currently working on silver Washington quarters. My youngest son and I are also working on a set of Franklin halfs together. I look for attractive toning, mostly rim toning. Also blast white coins with lots of luster. 

Welcome.

Getting started - As a collector, I am almost brand new.  Technically I got started when I was 9 (circa 1980s) when my grandfather gave me an old/worn 1922 peace dollar.  I thought it was the coolest thing, but I didn't collect coins.  Fast forward to 2020, I was looking for something to do with my kids.  We started collecting coins from coin rolls bought at the bank.  The coin shortage ended that, and I liked coins... so, I went into my first coin shop and saw a 1818 N-10 Large Cent (in MS64RB).  I was blown away, and didn't even know large cents existed.  The rest is history, and I have been hooked since... and I consider myself a "collector" now.

Where I sell - I don't.  The coins I found in change do not have enough value to be worth the effort to sell.  I don't upgrade coins, so the coins I buy are (and will continue to be) the examples that will persist in my collection.  I don't duplicate.

Factors of interest - I have evolved greatly as a collector in 2 years.  I have moved from circulated modern coins in change to uncirculated classic coins.  I like old copper coins, and I love large cents - but I can afford more half cents that have very similar look/feel, so I focus more there.  Collecting a 7070 Type Set has likely been the greatest learning tool for me, as this has me exposed to every coin series (even if only one coin).  Sometimes, I buy a type coin and want another... and sometimes I am just glad to be done with it.  I do not look at coins as an "investment", so it's all about having fun and educating myself along the way.