• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Still burnished left
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Might never sell out. Most years haven’t. But people ARE crazier now, so…

VkurtB just curious as to how they are made? Do they start with a burnished planchette or use a scotchbrite pad. Lol 😆 seriously I need to know. I don’t have any burnished ones and RWB’s book didn’t mention the process in his book. TIA

Yes they start with burnished planchets.  ALL planchets are burnished as part of the cleaning process.  But I think the frosty surfaces are the result of a slight etching of the die surfaces.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:18 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

burnished ones and RWB’s book didn’t mention the process in his book

See the comment on the other post, nearby. ["New Burnished American Eagles"]

Edited by RWB

I recommend Roger W. Burdett book “From Mine to Mint” everything you need to know about the manufacture of coins.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:10 AM, purecentury said:

Can you all recommend some literature to me? I'm new here, and I don't understand about what you are talking about here...

1ECA90B1-3F11-4350-BB81-E0C9132627F6.jpeg

On 6/2/2022 at 2:10 AM, purecentury said:

Can you all recommend some literature to me? I'm new here, and I don't understand about what you are talking about here...

Proof

Image 1 - 2021-W Type 1 - 1 oz American Silver Eagle - NGC PF 70 - Congratulations - E2176

Mint State

Image 1 - 2021-S $1 Silver Eagle Emergency Issue T-2 PCGS MS70 Item #10

Burnished

Image 1 - 2021 W Burnished Silver Eagle Type 2 NGC MS70 First Day of Issue Label

Burnished may look like mint state somewhat, but it has a W mint mark on the back.  It has a more satin appearance in person.  They are also the lowest mintage of the three each year.

The burnished have specially prepared blanks AND carefully etched dies, the last time I spoke with Mint personnel about them. They really are different from the bullion non-mintmarked variety, but the magnitude of the difference in appearance does continue to shrink year by year. 

On 6/2/2022 at 1:43 PM, BearlyHereBear said:

Burnished may look like mint state somewhat, but it has a W mint mark on the back.  It has a more satin appearance in person.  They are also the lowest mintage of the three each year.

It's also a meaningless name so far as coinage goes...If the Mint still sold silver spoons, it might be realistic.

Thanks Mr.Bill347 for the recommendation.

The book has a lot of information, but is not a book of basic info -- some can be fairly complex, even daunting, for a beginner. But, I am told that it is a book that readers go back to many times.

On 6/2/2022 at 2:12 PM, RWB said:

It's also a meaningless name so far as coinage goes...If the Mint still sold silver spoons, it might be realistic.

Correct,  The official term is 

American Eagle 2022 One Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin

But since the TPGs now put burnished on the label, for noob purposes, I guess it's okay.

Yep...must be "OK" ... Just like putting "Pimple Remover" on a container of nitric acid.  :(