• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remarkable Discovery Revises the Nature of a Previously Known Doubled-Die Obverse
2 2

12 posts in this topic

The photos here and shown in a PCGS post by "CaptHenway" indicate a doubled die. But I'm not yet convinced about the 3/2. I'd like to see the results of a professional laser profilometer (such as used in a previous post). This would obviously be in the same category as 1942/1 dimes.

I agree with RWB. I see more evidence as to a 43/43 regular doubled due. I’ll have to add more pictures later, and see if what Tom posted on the PCGS forums is true and the coin I posted had a contact mark or if it was doubling. 

To me the photo alone constitutes overwhelming, clear and convincing evidence minus the fine narrative. What eludes me is the equivocation of others. This is indeed a remarkable discovery!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Add final word

On 5/25/2022 at 4:20 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

To me the photo alone constitutes overwhelming, clear and convincing evidence minus the fine narrative. What eludes me is the equivocation of others. This is indeed a remarkable discovery!

I’ve seen this two different places. The first pictures were unconvincing to me. The later ones more so. 

I revoke my previous statement. I have done some more research, and despite being dubious at first, I must agree that a two is the best match for the underdate. 

On 5/25/2022 at 4:36 PM, FlyingAl said:

I revoke my previous statement. I have done some more research, and despite being dubious at first, I must agree that a two is the best match for the underdate. 

Let the newbie search fest begin! Release the hounds!

On 5/25/2022 at 5:29 PM, VKurtB said:

I’ve seen this two different places. The first pictures were unconvincing to me. The later ones more so. 

Really? I see no less than three points of comparison on and about the 3 and use the other numbers for perspective. Clear as day! Am I to believe you or my own lying eyes? If you dwell on it long enough, the 2's ghostly presence will manifest itself.  😉 

On 5/25/2022 at 4:45 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Really? I see no less than three points of comparison on and about the 3 and use the other numbers for perspective. Clear as day! Am I to believe you or my own lying eyes? If you dwell on it long enough, the 2's ghostly presence will manifest itself.  😉 

Actually, the “fat 4” keeps attracting my eye.