• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaned Mercury 10c 1921 d

5 posts in this topic

What exactly is your question? I agree with the details grade. It also has the basic checks for it to be a legitimate 1921-D. 

Are you asking an approximate value? If that is the question there is no perfect answer. Given this is a key date it has more desirability. My general rule of thumb is I assume two grades down for basic details. Depending on severity I may go down much more if it is damaged or something to that extent. This coin also has a deep terminal toning spot that is irreversible, and appears to possible have had a previous dip that went too long to try to remove it during the cleaning. On the other hand it does appear to eek out full bands although close on the center. My guesstimate, and it’s just that, would be roughly $750-$1000. I think it has too many issues to go higher in mY opinion.  However you never know what someone will be willing to pay. 

On second glance I just noticed the active PVC on the neck. That’s a problem you need to address if you can. Is it currently in a slab? If so who’s slab?

Edited by Woods020

Thanks for taking a look and pointing out the PVC. The coin just just got graded by NGC. I'm interested in a value and how to honestly sell this coin as well as knowing how collectors evaluate a coin that has been slabbed and graded cleaned UNC:Details

On 5/7/2022 at 11:26 AM, Livio Eleven said:

Thanks for taking a look and pointing out the PVC. The coin just just got graded by NGC. I'm interested in a value and how to honestly sell this coin as well as knowing how collectors evaluate a coin that has been slabbed and graded cleaned UNC:Details

Can you post more pictures? I’m more than a little surprised that was just slabbed by NGC. I think you need to address the pvc before selling. Any sane collector that sees that will pass more than likely. Maybe it isn’t pvc and just by chance some green, which is why I wanted more pics. I think without that you are looking in the range I provided. Again just a guess but I think it will sell around that unless that green is a real issue. It could certainly go higher. 

Edited by Woods020

Cleaned coins are hard to predict prices, here is a link to an AU details (cleaned) coin also graded by NGC that was sold thru Heritage Auctions. 

1921-D NGC graded cleaned AU

The coin I have linked sold for $600 dollars just back in Sep of 2021.   Using that as a guideline I think that @Woods020 price range is correct