• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1901 P. DDR?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Dear sirs I have a questionable Morgan 1901 P an in most cases authenticated due to the rarity an counterfeit coins are. Some history to this coin it been in my family for 94 years in bank lockbox My grand mother got from a door to door salesman around 1928 so make long story short she had put it bank box an when she died I inherited it with other coin an live left them there thru all my life. But I’m very interested about any thing. I’ve been told it’s been cleaned, polished it has mirrors it a PL and it’s a hot lips coin. I will Accept what y’all tell me

0A80612E-7FBE-4A57-9167-62870A830CA4.jpeg

B9980964-0359-4CC7-BBE1-6A15B2ABD4C0.jpeg

40AFE267-AECC-46C5-88EE-863C84876DDF.jpeg

28B56663-6B12-43B3-A653-74706625CED0.jpeg

D2B8DBCF-5CA9-47DD-B499-EFDC1F3FD3D5.jpeg

5C6482CF-32BF-4F7F-9CE5-0743BFEEA119.jpeg

On 5/4/2022 at 11:20 PM, FlyingAl said:

It is a heavily cleaned, damaged, entirely ordinary 1901 Morgan. 

There is no doubling of any kind anywhere, and it is not a Hot Lips VAM either. 

Ok I have no idea about the cleaning or when it was done my guess it would have been over 100 years ago when that was done so that’s settled why is it that people supposed to know coins tell me things but now I took this picture with a filter so it wouldn’t look black an sliver an very shiny I can’t seem bro take a normal picture with out using filter which dulls it to me it’s a very beautiful coin when taken without filter. Did I do wrong?

I have no idea on who or how others have advised on your photos, the best photo is one that looks like the coin when you are holding it.   As to this coin, can you explain what you are seeing that makes you think it is a DDR?   I do not see any signs of any type of doubling in your photos.

One coin person or suppose to be a coin guy told me tail feathers an wing tip feathers on the end were double but I never could see that. But I may have done wrong when I took the photo you are looking at I use a a filter to keep coin background being black an very shiny like a mirror the filter makes coin have flat dull finish to it

On 5/4/2022 at 10:19 PM, N H Ourso said:

One coin person or suppose to be a coin guy told me tail feathers an wing tip feathers on the end were double but I never could see that. But I may have done wrong when I took the photo you are looking at I use a a filter to keep coin background being black an very shiny like a mirror the filter makes coin have flat dull finish to it

The person probably did not know the difference between mechanical doubling (happens in striking; not valuable) and a doubled die (happen when the die is created; can be very valuable).

If you can, attend a local coin club meeting and get to know people who have been collectors for several years. If you suspect you have a special coin of some sort, show it to real collectors, not the people you've mentioned.

Reflections off the plastic holder can sometimes look like doubling on a coin.

Your photos all seem a little out of focus, and high contrast. Also, there's no filter that will make this kind of coin photo "better."

On 5/5/2022 at 12:19 AM, N H Ourso said:

suppose to be a coin guy told me

Famous last words. More of these guys are charlatans than the real deal. 

On 5/5/2022 at 10:11 AM, RWB said:

If you can, attend a local coin club meeting and get to know people who have been collectors for several years. If you suspect you have a special coin of some sort, show it to real collectors, not the people you've mentioned.

Reflections off the plastic holder can sometimes look like doubling on a coin.

Your photos all seem a little out of focus, and high contrast. Also, there's no filter that will make this kind of coin photo "better."

Never use filters, unless you’re using film and you are using a Wratten 80-series filter to carefully match your light sources and your film emulsion. 

On 5/4/2022 at 10:19 PM, N H Ourso said:

I would be very suspect of any information from this "coin guy" perhaps the coin looks different in hand than it does in these photos but there is no doubling of any kind showing in your photos.   The coin does seem to have some hairlines that indicate it may have been wiped or cleaned at some time in the past, perhaps prior to your grandmother receiving it.

Photos, as I said the best photos are those that are sharp, in focus, and look like the coin when you are holding the coin in your hand.   Please know that when you ask for help and opinions providing good photos will result in the best answers, if we cannot see what you see we cannot be of much help.

Very few Morgan Dollars, other than those still in canvas bags in the late 1960’s / early 1970’s in Treasury Department vaults, are actually going to be real mint state coins. Such coins would almost have to be from early collections. 

You have a well circulated 1901 that is worth it's weight in silver, a nice keepsake reminder of your Grandmother. That makes it priceless for you and that's all that matters.