• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan dollar with 21's clean up thread

10 posts in this topic

This is a clean up of the confusion that I made out of the previous thread. 

Here is the seating chart

Organized by mint then date mostly 

C C 1

O 11

S 3

P 25  - other than 21

21p  14

21d. 8

20220503_203149.jpg

20220503_203355.jpg

oh this brings back memories of the old days before we had all of these fancy TPGs!!!   This is how it used to be done and this is a lovely set.  I would leave them just as they are or get i nice binder with pages for the holders.  makes me want to dig around for my old school folder

JT you make a very good point. The TPG graded coins are getting so pricey that it takes some of the fun out of collecting. I have a lot of ungraded coins with TPG like holders complete with labels that I made. I also have a lot of coin albums. If I see a coin that is visually attractive and appeals to me , I usually buy it and slab it. I do have some that I’d like to submit but I have to save up a while first! Another example is proof sets, I got into collecting them last year and now have well over 60 years of proof coins, none of which will ever be graded. I agree with you on Kevin’s coins. Just leave them alone and either box them or put them in a binder. 

On 5/4/2022 at 7:53 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

The TPG graded coins are getting so pricey that it takes some of the fun out of collecting.

One of the most truthful statements made on our now 'modern' hobby.  Labels with fancy pictures and signatures, labels that say "First Day of Issue", "Early Release", etc. are all designed to do nothing more than add a premium.  Of course, this is just my opinion but, since I buy only NGC and ATS, i have no choice depending on how bad I want that particular coin.

That's a nice group of Morgan dollars. It seems typical of what could once be picked up from a local bank. None of the coins would benefit from independent authentication and grading, in my view.