• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“Very mushy details”
1 1

18 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2022 at 1:40 PM, RWB said:

This might be a clearer image of mushy details on a coin. This is the letter "I" in LIBERTY on a modern quarter. Any metal not parallel to the coin's field (table) contributes to reduced contrast and softer-looking details. Notice the irregular top surface of the letter, and the slight rise in the field adjacent to the letter. (Last photo, I promise. I know everyone's bored stiff with this.... :) )

2069288894_LetterI-detail.thumb.jpg.a7df211acb527f9df2c5c11d82c3cb01.jpg

This last photo gives the best visual of what is going on, very useful.

There are limited practical uses for this technology in American numismatics. It could be used to profile and examine overdates and repunched mintmarks, confirm doubled die coins, characterize counterfeits, produce precise and repeatable distance measurements for relief elements.

We already understand that so-called “Longacre doubling” was caused by a punch or logotype being struck too hard when impressed into a working die. This allowed some of the punch matrix to contact the die surface and then transfer to coins.

One small refinement now understood by direct relief measurements is that the original logotypes were too shallow for coin use. That is, the individual letters were not long enough from matrix to top surface to produce a clear impression in a die. These punches and logos were commonly made on individual contracts with outside diesinkers – only a few were by Longacre.

Edited by RWB

You know an image that might be instructive? The word LIBERTY on a TRUE 1970-S small date cent - not the large date one most collectors have in the small date hole in their albums. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/2/2022 at 4:40 PM, RWB said:

(Last photo, I promise. I know everyone's bored stiff with this.... :) )

2069288894_LetterI-detail.thumb.jpg.a7df211acb527f9df2c5c11d82c3cb01.jpg

Quite the contrary. Some are mesmerized by your gift of oratory. Others, like me, if we are being honest, cannot refute the claims being made, and are intimidated into silence. Great stuff! You've outdone yourself with this command performance!   (worship)

On 6/15/2022 at 3:16 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Quite the contrary. Some are mesmerized by your gift of oratory. Others, like me, if we are being honest, cannot refute the claims being made, and are intimidated into silence. Great stuff! You've outdone yourself with this command performance!

Thank you!

I feel that careful application of technology can help solve any of the mysteries about coinage and about restrikes, counterfeits, authentication and many other details. However, the practical world asks for customers willing to pay for the equipment and work, maintain and archive data, and get it into collector hands with meaningful interpretations?

(Side bar -- the equipment to make the above measurements and pretty pictures starts at about $50k. This one is $70k. I don't expect any coin business will purchase this kind of thing.)

On 5/2/2022 at 1:35 PM, RWB said:

The result of these measurements is to show why modern coins look “mushy.”

[Measurements made with a Keyence 3D Optical Profilometer, VR-6000 Series.]

It should be noted that every single date, mint mark, and denomination modern appears with very sharp strikes.  Indeed, all these changes that have been made will tend to increase the number of sharp strikes or at least to make them more likely but  most coins are sloppily and haphazardly made. Instead of making better coins they lowered standards.    Some dates are very rare with a 100% strike with the '82-P quarter being the rarest.  While the '72-D dime and quarter come with nice solid strikes the "2" of the date is rarely fully formed.  

In 1965 the mint just wanted to crank out as many coins as possible and this meant cutting corners (see what I did there), and running presses ever faster.  To assure the die shops could keep up they reduced pressure and started using dies far too long.  When production finally exceeded demand sometime in late-'67 they just never went back and fixed the numerous quality problems that had arisen with the short cuts.  They had no "customer" because collectors were ignoring all modern coins and the FED was only concerned that they could go through coin counters and be readily identified by users.  Indeed, it was this need to identify the coins that was the chief argument against all the commemoratives including the states coins and starting with the bicentennial quarter.   In 1999 when the states coins began the mint finally had real customers and quality began improving.  

People now days often don't realize just how poor quality was back in 1966.  They see a heavily worn '66 quarter without realizing that the most of that missing detail wasn't worn off the coin, it was never there to start with.  If that G were well made it would look like a VG or a F. 

The last part of most moderns formed is the peripheral lettering, often the "LIBERTY".  Finding specimens that are fully struck is difficult.    

Edited by cladking

On 6/16/2022 at 10:34 AM, cladking said:

People now days often don't realize just how poor quality was back in 1966.  They see a heavily worn '66 quarter without realizing that the most of that missing detail wasn't worn off the coin, it was never there to start with.  If that G were well made it would look like a VG or a F....

Finding specimens that are fully struck is difficult.    

Glad you've chimed in! You've hit this problem I've had with clads squarely on the head. I did not know exactly why I didn't like them!   Poor quality...This explains everything!  doh! :whatthe:

Poor quality...This explains everything! 

If manufacture weren't bad enough almost every coin was scratched and gouged before it left the mint.  Of course mint set coins tended to fare a little better but now days some dates of these are tarnished!

There are numerous quality deficiencies and even if you locate a pristine well made coin there can be issues with poor surface quality.  There is a tyranny of numbers with these coins because most were poorly made, almost all were put in circulation, and almost no BU rolls exist.   Most chBU's and Gems come from mint sets where finding better made coins is like shooting fish in a barrel.  About 2% (as issued) of the coins in mint sets were Gem and 25 to 80% were chBU dependent on date/ MM/ denomination.  The big difference though between clads made for circulation and those made for mint sets is die wear.  Mint set dies were swapped out after 40,000 strikes where circulation dies could be used for as many as 1,000,000 strikes or 20 times as many coins.  After 15 or 20,000 strikes coins start showing significant evidence of die wear.  

'70 quarters and '72 dimes were also very bad for mushy strikes but every date before about 1978 has these and a few after.

Edited by cladking

Another culprit is the penny.  

It became less than worthless in 1974 which resulted in enormous attrition and soaring mintages which remain high to this day.  Partly it's that people won't bother to take pennies back to the bank but more is that we won't even bother to retrieve them when dropped; they simply aren't worth the effort so many end up in the garbage stream.  Mintages ramped up even higher as the mint converted to zinc and the loss on each one dropped in 1982.  These huge mintages necessitated that the mint produce more dies and that they operate the presses ever faster.  This speed doesn't allow time for the metal to fully fill the die.  When you see a very mushy '66 quarter it is largely caused by the coin shortage and the '80's and '90's issues by the speed needed to make pennies.  They could have bought more presses that wouldn't fit in existing facilities or they could speed up the presses.  They chose the latter.

Not only were the mint sets made with old style presses and new dies but they were made at lower speeds allowing more die fill and more sharply struck coins.   

What I find truly remarkable is how quickly these dimes from the '80's have been disappearing the last dozen years.  Attrition on heavily worn coins is only slightly higher than on brand new ones but the attrition on dimes is soaring.  It's largely the fact that dimes have little purchasing power but by weight they are about the same as quarters which are not faring as poorly.  Perhaps it's as simple as people knowing a quarter makes too much racket in the vacuum cleaner but a dime gets sucked up cleanly.  I just don't know why the rates are diverging so sharply or suddenly.  Quarters have always been the workhorse but even quarters are far less useful than they were 20 years ago.  

[I live hard by the poorest Congressional District in the nation, which embraces a swath of the South Bronx and upper Manhattan. When I make a purchase producing negligible change, I usually give it back to the proprietor and tell him, Here, this is for all the people who come up short, those who are beggars, and the like. He is always appreciative and gives me a knowing glance. Most appear to be of Yemeni origin.]

The future does not bode well for the coins now in wide circulation.