• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My two recent Ben Franklins
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Nice coins!

Question: Do you find that Franklin halves with "full bell lines" have better overall detail than "ordinary" coins? I ask because several other types have analogous modifying terms that can be interpreted as better total detail quality.

Edited by RWB

On 4/16/2022 at 1:01 PM, RWB said:

Nice coins!

Question: Do you find that Franklin halves with "full bell lines" have better overall detail than "ordinary" coins? I ask because several other types have analogous modifying terms that can be interpreted as better total detail quality.

Seems like the one I have with fbl has better detail. Seems like a better strike than the others. Thats just with mine. Ive only got a handful. Put it up aginst several more then Im not sure if it does or not. But its a really good strike and a beautiful coin. May have been an early strike. 

Those are some beauties Mr. Bill. Ilove those Franklins. Wish that series coulda went a few more years. 

On 4/16/2022 at 3:28 PM, DWLange said:

The Franklin Halves dated 1948-50 have the most hair detail on the Franklin portrait, particularly when the coins were struck with freshly-installed dies. This wore off the master hub with repeated use and was only partially restored with the 1960 edition. The coins dated 1951-59 may have FBL, but they rarely show more than a smooth, undefined mound within Franklin's hair. This is true even of the proofs.

Yes I do feel that is the case. I have two other raw Bens that don’t have that detail. I do agree since I have proof sets from 54-63 even the proofs don’t show much detail.

Edited by Mr.Bill347
Sowlling

Don't think this series got the recognition it deserved.   I just always loved the nothing fancy, bare bones classic design look to old Ben!!   The coin has everything it needs, no more and no less. 

Edited by tj96