• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I get My Coin Back And.....
2 2

13 posts in this topic

A "mechanical error" that NGC will fix at no-charge. The orientation of the coin in the holder is completely up to their discretion and from what I understand submitters can also request which side of the coin is "up" in the holder. 

Nothing to see here. ;)

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

State quarters are holdered state side up by NGC's default, but you may certainly request that the obverse be featured instead, especially since it has the die crack.

With the wrong mintmark, you are perfectly entitled to return it as a "mechanical error" at no cost. Specify "heads up" at the same time.

On 4/12/2022 at 9:17 AM, DWLange said:

State quarters are holdered state side up by NGC's default, but you may certainly request that the obverse be featured instead, especially since it has the die crack.

With the wrong mintmark, you are perfectly entitled to return it as a "mechanical error" at no cost. Specify "heads up" at the same time.

Thanks a lot DW.. Problem is I've had so many coins graded I don't keep the paper work on the graded coins.  Can you look at my other coin that came back in a flip? TYVM in advance.. 

On 4/12/2022 at 5:24 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

A "mechanical error" that NGC will fix at no-charge. The orientation of the coin in the holder is completely up to their discretion and from what I understand submitters can also request which side of the coin is "up" in the holder. 

Nothing to see here. ;)

Yeah. It gets a little funny though in some series where they flip-flop on what side goes up over the years and so you get some very funky looking sets of slabs - I think my  Kookaburras are like this. Some have the (yearly changing) bird side up, some of the Queen up. Since I don't show the full holder in the images I post anyway, on those series / coins, I upload the pictures they way I want them, to be consistent. Regardless of how the coin is oriented in the holder.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:52 AM, Revenant said:

Just for the pure humor of having an error coin / die crack coin with an erroneous holder, I don't think I'd do a thing. I think I'd keep it as is. lol I mean, just thinking about how rare attributable errors can be, that can't be a very common thing, to have it line up like that.

icon_smile_agree.gif

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Here a suggestion for NGC. STOP PUTTING MODERN CENTS SHIELD SIDE UP. 

I don't get it myself. Putting the new reverse up made some sense the first year of issue, but the novelty wore off a long time ago.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:50 AM, Revenant said:

Yeah. It gets a little funny though in some series where they flip-flop on what side goes up over the years and so you get some very funky looking sets of slabs - I think my  Kookaburras are like this. Some have the (yearly changing) bird side up, some of the Queen up. Since I don't show the full holder in the images I post anyway, on those series / coins, I upload the pictures they way I want them, to be consistent. Regardless of how the coin is oriented in the holder.

...it could be they have to call Buckingham first to decide....