• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 over mint mark D/S

14 posts in this topic

Well if you could back it up a bit or refocus. Please shoot the whole coin on both sides. It is to fuzzy to see anything and it makes a difference what the whole coin looks like also. You could have a real great find on something but if the coin is a mess it is only worth whatever someone will pay for it. Even the comment you posted from the cherry pickers book has questions about the MM.   I do want to say I love a good hunt keep looking Keith.  ;)

Picture is way to pixilated to tell anything. It does not have to be that large, clarity is the main thing.  We have to be able to clearly see all the detail to make a decision.

Note that the Cherrypicker's Guide says, "...possibly received an S mintmark..." Read that to mean: "might but we can't really tell."

On 4/6/2022 at 11:47 AM, RWB said:

Note that the Cherrypicker's Guide says, "...possibly received an S mintmark..." Read that to mean: "might but we can't really tell."

But people obsessed by minor details can ALWAYS tell.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:47 PM, RWB said:

Yeah I believe that’s what it means and your point?

On 4/11/2022 at 8:33 PM, Keith Dee said:

I believe the point is that Breen invented many varieties that have later been found to be merely a figment of his imagination. The jury is still out on just what your coin really is, regardless of what you personally feel that it is. Hey, most everyone who posts on this forum would be tickled pink if you actually found a D/S, but apparently, very few think one actually exists. If that hurts your feelings, you may want to post on a coin forum whose members do not tell you the truth about what they think. Here, you are likely to get the unvarnished truth.

Either way, good luck with your future collecting.

Edited by Just Bob

On 4/11/2022 at 9:33 PM, Keith Dee said:

The point is they are saying they don't know, so owners should not assume anything. I have an 1898 dime like that -- something going on within the second "8" but no one can identify what it is/was/might be/never was....

:)

On 4/11/2022 at 8:34 PM, Keith Dee said:

What’s minor and major?

My definition: If it’s in the “regular” Red Book, it’s major. (The Mega Red doesn’t count.) But if it’s not in the regular Red Book, it’s minor and not worth seeking. But that’s just me. If it has a hole in a Dansco album, it’s a really major variety. If it’s only in Wexler or Breen, it may not actually exist. If Roger says it exists, it depends on whether he’s speaking ex cathedra or not. 

Edited by VKurtB

Help us help you by posting a clear and cropped image of the coin. I would love for this to be an early die state D/S but the image posted is not sufficient for identification or even speculation. Well, maybe speculation. 

I'm not sure if any TPG's recognize a '54 D/S variety but NGC does not at this time. If sent in, and it is an RPM, chances are they would list it as a D/D. 

On 4/12/2022 at 7:03 AM, JT2 said:

image.png.a28fc11f3b7415fdf5d2eb3a6b7689b2.png  I think it is a crab.....j/k  the image is way to out of focus to determain. 

It’s a sad doggy face, straight on.