• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Coin Auction - Suddenly Ended Last Night (what gives?)
1 1

9 posts in this topic

(shrug)(shrug)(shrug)

So last night I sat on the Tuesday auction at HA.  I was late, so I missed the Half Cents (Heritage, like most other coin auction goes in denomination/date order).  I watched people bid and win some good deals on some Jefferson nickels, but I kept my powder dry for other, higher denomination, coins that would be coming up later.  

However, in the middle of the Kennedy Half dollars, the auction just "concluded." There were certainly more lots on which to bid.  I logged out and logged back in, but the auction was still "concluded."  The auction was over, and the future lots were just gone.  I searched the bid/buy section, and nothing.

1. Did anyone else have a problem at the Heritage Auction last night?
  2. Has this happened to anyone else in another auction at Heritage?
    • Does the auction time out?
      • sign-out/sign-in didn't correct the problem

The whole thing is just weird, and I was thinking that I was having "user error."  But, as I investigated... I couldn't find anything I did incorrectly.  So.. I bought nothing, and it's just as well because I was not heart-set on anything in the auction.  But, that will not always be the case...

Figured I would reach out and get the room's take before I call Heritage and investigate further (with likely ample hold time).

I have seen and heard of single lots that had some weird closings or such but never an entire session just closing.   I would guess that Heritage has some technical glitch, if you reach out to Heritage please let us know what they say.

I’m sure @MarkFeldwould know. That does seem strange. I wonder if they had weather issues. We have some crappy weather blowing through right now that probably went through Texas. 

I was just alerted to this thread, so checked the results from last night’s session. If anything happened on our end, it’s not apparent to me.

I viewed prices realized, including through the last lot that was listed and sold last night, seemingly as scheduled. I have copied that information below. If there had been an issue, while there’s no guarantee I would have heard about it, chances are very good that I would have.

Whatever the cause of the problem, I’m sorry you experienced it.

On 3/30/2022 at 7:31 PM, MarkFeld said:

I was just alerted to this thread, so checked the results from last night’s session. If anything happened on our end, it’s not apparent to me.

I viewed prices realized, including through the last lot that was listed and sold last night, seemingly as scheduled. I have copied that information below. If there had been an issue, while there’s no guarantee I would have heard about it, chances are very good that I would have.

Whatever the cause of the problem, I’m sorry you experienced it.

Mark did the auction only include coins up to JFK halves? Maybe that was the confusion. He was expecting it to go through all denominations. 

On 3/30/2022 at 7:42 PM, Woods020 said:

Mark did the auction only include coins up to JFK halves? Maybe that was the confusion. He was expecting it to go through all denominations. 

Yes, last night’s session ended with Kennedy halves and tonight’s session started with Bust dollars. Here’s a link to the information page for the sale, with session days/times, lot numbers, etc.: https://coins.ha.com/c/auction-home.zx?saleNo=132213

On 3/30/2022 at 8:10 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Okay.  So, this was truly my error... I didn't realize the split.  Sorry about that. 

I try to be wrong about once an hour just to make sure I don’t get out of practice. No worries. 

On 3/30/2022 at 10:17 PM, Woods020 said:

I try to be wrong about once an hour just to make sure I don’t get out of practice. No worries. 

The only time I do not meet this goal is when she is sleeping.

(... and I still didn't get anything) 

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist