• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2005 US Mint sets need designations: Matte??? SMS???

18 posts in this topic

I have found these satin finish coins to be nothing special at all, with the sole exception of the P mint Kenedy halves, which have a unique beaded and grainy look that I have not seen before. All the other coins are common with the exact same satin finish. For instance, all State Quarters can be found with identical frosty surfaces like on these coins, and telling them apart from business strikes is, in many cases, impossible.

Normally, the dies start out reflective and frost developes as a result of die wear. In this case, the frost has simply been applied before striking. So, the only difference is that the dies produced frosty coins from the start.

But even so, many of these "satin finish" coins still have prooflike surfaces, often over parts of each side or on entire sides, almost as if the dies were only partly frosted or only frosted on one side. I have seen semi-prooflike cents, nickles, dollars, D-Kennedy halves, and quarters. This inconsistency makes it even harder to tell the difference.

I think a designation is necessary for the P Kennedys, but I don't see how it could work for the other coins.

I've gotten similar replies from my thread across the street.

I will yield to the wisdom of the more experienced of both forums and stand corrected.

It's now sumission time!!! laugh.gif

Thanks guys! laugh.gif

On the collectors society home page last week, NGC posted an article describing the exact policy to be employed on these mint sets. One note of particular interest to our discussion is this: in many cases, NGC can't tell the difference between the satin coins and regular business strikes, so they say the cannot guarrantee an SMS designation unless the coins are submitted in original mint packaging.

I am excited about the way they are going to handle these coins. It only gives due attention to those coins that deserve it. After reading NGC's new policy, what do others think?

I was rather impressed with the satin appearance of the coins I received. Fairly discernable from the circulation strikes. I'm sure the characteristics are on a continuum, however, so natural confusion may arise.

This is not uncommon with the SMS vs. business strikes of 1965-67. I recently submitted two superlative examples of 1965 business strikes to NGC taken from an original roll. The coins looked like twins. The entire roll looked like they were struck from the same die pair. Well, NGC called one SMS and the other a business strike. Go figure. Not the first time I've found the grading services clueless about distinguishing the coins' proper origins.

Hoot

What I've discovered to be even more perplexing is the fact that the Mint stated that they would not use the satin finish on the business strikes in bags and rolls. There would be a distinct difference between the two finishes, but I have found that is not the case. Recently, I received my subscription for four $25 bags of the Oregon States Quarters (2 - P & 2 - D). It is clear that satin finish dies were used but they show obvious signs of deterioration (adraded dies). Will the TPG's now have to classify them as SMS-BS? No, I don't mean "Business Strike"!

It appears that the new chrome-plated, satin finish dies are not holding up too well. But, the Mint doesn't want to waste them when they can still be used to produce garbage for general circulation. How will any collector be able to acquire a decent specimen from the business strikes? It makes me wonder if the satin finish is worth the effort. Will the Mint decide to scrap the process in midstream? If they do, it will sure make for some lousy-looking, complete sets of States Quarters.

Chris

PS. I opened 20 sets of the satin finish Mint Sets so that I could put together same-grade sets. Do you think NGC would accept my U.S. Mint invoice and the empty envelopes and COA's as proof of authenticity? smile.gif

I just sent in opened coins with no proof or origin, and as of this morning, they have been moved to "grading," and all are now labeled SMS.

The non-SMS ones are likely going to have a higher premium than the SMS ones. I'm sure this will cause a bunch of people to submit coins without listing them as SMS. I know my invoice doesn't say SMS on it. smile.gif

BTW, I opened 100+ sets and some of the coins look very much like a business strike - especially the dimes. No way anyone could tell them apart.

Satin/SMS/etc, it's going to be fun to watch everyone debating if a coin is a business strike or a mint set strike. 27_laughing.gif While some look completely different, others look identical.

BTW, that's the seller that is selling coins he doesn't currently have graded, I believe. He's hoping for those grades.

BTW, that's the seller that is selling coins he doesn't currently have graded, I believe. He's hoping for those grades.

Oh brother, that seller must think it's in the bag. 27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I wonder what happens if he dosen't get the grades he covets?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Something fishy here?

Oh brother, that seller must think it's in the bag. 27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I wonder what happens if he dosen't get the grades he covets?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Something fishy here?

If it's the same seling I'm thinking of, then his line about no guarantee of delivery time will cover his butt...maybe.

Another interesting thing happened to me today; I got my next batch of mint sets, and here it goes:

WOW!! These sets are a thousand times nicer than the first twenty I purchased. The first twenty sets I searched looked like typical business strikes, with almost no exceptions. And, I came down on the side of those who say there is nothing special about the new satin finish. However, this new batch is packed full of beautiful satiny coins with thickly frosted highpoints and gorgeous semi-glossy fields, and other characteristics that business strikes could never acquire, even through die wear. These are nothing like the first sets I had (which is quite puzzling, actually 893scratchchin-thumb.gif). I was already pleased with NGC's decision to use the SMS on coins that they could see some difference in. I thought that policy seemed fair, since I did notice a considerable difference on a few P mint Kennedys from my first sets, but I am now strongly in favor of the SMS designation for these coins, and I am very impressed with the quality of the satin finish!

These coins are outstanding! I found a dime with thick cameo contrast and deeply mirrored fields too! There was a hint of contrast on the dimes in the first sets I had, but nothing like this!