• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1807 Sierra Leone Penny Token - Grade?
2 2

7 posts in this topic

It's rare that I find myself less conservative on coin grading than anyone else here. I think I see why Bob went with F; the obverse devices have enough detail loss to make VF an iffy proposition. I do wonder if the height of the original obverse devices would be a mitigator, as in so high that there might be more tolerance for wear past the highest points. Hard to say, really. The rim bump is a hard no for EF, but in my view so would the obverse be anyway.

On 3/31/2022 at 9:54 AM, JKK said:

It's rare that I find myself less conservative on coin grading than anyone else here. I think I see why Bob went with F; the obverse devices have enough detail loss to make VF an iffy proposition. I do wonder if the height of the original obverse devices would be a mitigator, as in so high that there might be more tolerance for wear past the highest points. Hard to say, really. The rim bump is a hard no for EF, but in my view so would the obverse be anyway.

Actually, I have zero experience grading these, so I went with my gut. Then, to see how close I was, I went looking at examples that had been sold on the web. I found a few, and the VF ones looked to have just a hair more meat than this example, so I stuck with Fine. The harder I look, though, the more rim dings I see. 

I like the piece, though. (thumbsu

To all, 

Thx for the feedback! Here are a few more pics. I was thinking VF just because there is enough original detail  of the finer points like the tree tops and horizon line.

Jim

8F52CC3F-DD04-4188-A09B-251D16568048.jpeg

AAF4CCE8-769C-47FF-A81B-02373677DED8.jpeg

AE7C8989-5356-4EAC-81D1-818E1F7F0C1A.jpeg

9E15FE0E-1735-435B-B6DB-1AFA1A147D7A.jpeg

Now, if we can only get a translation of the reverse. (There are many vendors in Manhattan who sell cell-phone accessories. If one or two can be of assistance--unless you already know--I will be happy to provide you with a translation. It could very well turn out to be the first time any have seen the coin, and like other countries that have dispensed with Arabic, those I consult may not know. No problem, If I must, I will make a polite inquiry at the central mosque uptown which draws on a diverse number of people from many different countries. Yes, I am curious, too!)

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Addition of closing parenthesis.