• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess the grade
4 4

20 posts in this topic

Lighting is very flat - maybe EF from the appearance of the fields and wear on eagle's leg and breast.

On 3/26/2022 at 8:29 PM, RWB said:

Lighting is very flat - maybe EF from the appearance of the fields and wear on eagle's leg and breast.

My photography skills are horrible. Also my equipment. All I have is an android phone to take pics. 

EF sounds about right.  My first though was that it may have been cleaned.  Maybe it's just circulation wear.  It has unique patina though.  That coin has character!  I like it!  👍🏻 

On 3/26/2022 at 8:37 PM, Hoghead515 said:

My photography skills are horrible. Also my equipment. All I have is an android phone to take pics. 

Your photos are clear and sharply focused! The Android camera is doing just fine. The tough part is controlling lighting -- especially with a coin behind plastic.

Try shooting near a window and possibly placing a thin white cloth in between the window light and and the coin....not sure what that will do to reflections off the slab. Maybe experiment with some un-slabbed coins first.

Edited by RWB

On 3/26/2022 at 8:37 PM, Hoghead515 said:

They're better IMO than those portrait-like "True Views" and other images I see. (thumbsu  I personally hate those.

Default settings on your smartphone set to Maximum Resolution (you can always shrink if necessary)....angle the coins at 30 degrees to you and the phone with the light behind you or to the side....LED light best....then zoom in and shoot.

Add your own preferences but IMO based on what I see above you already have a pretty good base to start with.

On 3/27/2022 at 9:32 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Heres a picture of it with the color taken away and under different lighting. Cant see the details as well in the first pics.Lumii_20220327_103153829.thumb.jpg.c06d59887b9672782631242435ef8dec.jpgLumii_20220327_102458763.thumb.jpg.76f2b498a9a586cec8c38bcf35ddeb86.jpg

Liberty’s hair detail looks better in the above picture than it did in the first one. So I’ll retract my previous AU50 guess and abstain from guessing. I just don’t feel like I have a good enough idea of what the coin actually looks like.

@Hoghead515:

I am well aware, the grade's been guessed and  a wide range of opinions were expressed. (Had I not been exiled to Vladivostok gulag, I might have participated in more timely fashion.)  I have only one question: Had the thought of conservation occurred to you, before submission? I don't know if the cost would have justified the expense. A mild case of Monkeypox appears to have riddled the reverse but, not knowing its cause, I have no remedy. Unmentioned is any reference to the unusual mint-mark. Is there anything that could have been done to improve the appearance of the reverse without "cleaning" it? All in all, MS-65 is a very respectable grade!

On 7/16/2022 at 5:09 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Hoghead515:

I am well aware, the grade's been guessed and  a wide range of opinions were expressed. (Had I not been exiled to Vladivostok gulag, I might have participated in more timely fashion.)  I have only one question: Had the thought of conservation occurred to you, before submission? I don't know if the cost would have justified the expense. A mild case of Monkeypox appears to have riddled the reverse but, not knowing its cause, I have no remedy. Unmentioned is any reference to the unusual mint-mark. Is there anything that could have been done to improve the appearance of the reverse without "cleaning" it? All in all, MS-65 is a very respectable grade!

It is just staining and toning. Dont know if they could do anything or not. Im happy with a 65 though. Its a beautiful coin in hand. It dosent look as bad.