• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2.5 X 2.5 non-PVC Flips I Use For My Submissions
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I use these SAFLIP's for my submissions.  Although I have two problems with them, I still use them as requested. 

I'm wondering if you guys have "or notice" the same issues.  The corners of these flips are like little needles!  To me, it's very aggravating.  If it's aggravating to me, it's gotta be aggravating to the folks at NGC that open and handle all these submissions.  So I cut the corners off of them.

Also, it's hard to see in the pictures but there seems to be moisture inside these flips.  I use Q-Tips to swab the inside the flips.  It seems to work.   

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3055.JPG

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

Yes the are sharp! A small price to pay to protect my collection though. I'm not cutting corners. lol

Are you sure that your not seeing a visual effect when it comes to the moisture? Does the moisture have a prism effect? I'm wondering if what you are seeing is Newton rings? Which is a visual phenomenon that occurs when light passes through plastics with different refractive indexes (how they bend light). It’s what you sometimes see on a smartphone screen protector, or on the edges of an LCD television screen. In this case, it would be caused by the refractive qualities of the two layers of the flip being layer together. I've never noticed moisture in my SAflips but have noticed this effect. I thought it might have been oil when I fist saw this. (shrug)

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 3/24/2022 at 6:29 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Yes the are sharp! A small price to pay to protect my collection though. I'm not cutting corners. lol

Are you sure that your not seeing a visual effect when it comes to the moisture? Does the moisture have a prism effect? I'm wondering if what you are seeing is Newton rings? Which is a visual phenomenon that occurs when light passes through plastics with different refractive indexes (how they bend light). It’s what you sometimes see on a smartphone screen protector, or on the edges of an LCD television screen. In this case, it would be caused by the refractive qualities of the two layers of the flip being layer together. I've never noticed moisture in my SAflips but have noticed this effect. I thought it might have been oil when I fist saw this. (shrug)

The best explanation I've heard yet!  Or I was thinking maybe air bubbles?   Whichever, your detailed analysis works for me.  Thanks! 

On 3/24/2022 at 7:53 AM, DWLange said:

I'm not a fan of Saflips for submissions to NGC, but it seems that about 5% of our customers use them. Their corners are indeed weaponized, and they can be quite brittle. It's not unusual for me to get a box of coins in which several of the Saflips have split along the folds and are now in two pieces. NGC won't prohibit their use, but the soft flips are really better for the relatively short time that the coins will be stored in them before slabbing.

Wow!!.....  That's not good!!!  That's all I need to know.   Out with the Saflips, in with the soft flips!!

Thanks Dave.

I put my coins in those flips, and then the flips are going to be vacuumized and sealed and shipped to NGC :-)

If i remember correctly, at the Munich office, there are Flips available with round corners. Not sure if they are still there....

On 3/24/2022 at 2:02 PM, NUMISGA said:

I put my coins in those flips, and then the flips are going to be vacuumized and sealed and shipped to NGC :-)

If i remember correctly, at the Munich office, there are Flips available with round corners. Not sure if they are still there....

Exactly how do you do that?

@NUMISGA Like a heat sealer?  Be very careful with that in regards to the colorized coins that we were mentioning in the other thread.  I would imagine that the colorization is much more susceptible to heat than the metal of the coin.

I have this image of @tj96 wearing those butcher's chainmail gloves when sending of his coins to the TPG.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 3/24/2022 at 7:27 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Like a heat sealer?

Kind of, but the content is not getting heat. Generally i am very careful when handling coins :-)

Best