• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colored Silver Coin Grading, Color piled off

20 posts in this topic

Question is impossible to answer without examples and clearer phrasing, such as what is meant by 'piled off.'

On 3/23/2022 at 6:42 PM, JKK said:

Question is impossible to answer without examples and clearer phrasing, such as what is meant by 'piled off.'

photo.png.5a51dac37defe286f7d73a7f79330035.png

Color spitted off.

(The coin is not yellow, this is a cam problem).

Many coin collector approach these like the painted "collector plates" sold by Bradford Exchange and Franklin Mint.

As for paint chipping, I doubt there are any collectors of these who will want such a coin. Regarding "grading" it might be called "damaged" much like a badly scratched or cleaned coin.

Just some thoughts.....

I agree with @RWB.  Your coin was painted/colorized after it left the mint.  In the eyes of the grading companies, anything that happens to a coin after it leaves the mint is "damage", so this coin would not grade.

There are people who specifically collect colorized coins.  However, because the color is peeling, most collectors would pass-it-over for it's more intact counterpart.

If you enjoy the coin... keep it and enjoy it in the capsule for as long as the color lasts.

Neo.  That’s what I thought then realized that the colorized U.S. mint issues are color applied at a separate facility. Would that be post mint. ? Just got me to thinking,ofcourse this could become a problem 😉 as I tend to argue with myself   What say you?  They graded em. Read an article about how the colorization was done. 

417203B3-543B-420D-A5A2-BD3B5785A5D3.png

NGC grades colorized coins all the time but the color application must be done/authorized by the mint at which the coin was produced and issuing country or authority. If not they won't touch it. I'm not familiar with your coin so I can't speak as to whether or not NGC will grade it but in my experience a colorized coin will still straight grade if some of the paint is missing or if the coloring is "outside of the lines". 

On 3/23/2022 at 6:25 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Neo.  That’s what I thought then realized that the colorized U.S. mint issues are color applied at a separate facility. Would that be post mint. ? What say you?  They graded em. 

Yep.  You make a great point.  I was more referring to the post market-colorization, plating and other companies that make novelty coins that some coin collectors collect.

On 3/23/2022 at 10:20 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I agree with @RWB.  Your coin was painted/colorized after it left the mint.  In the eyes of the grading companies, anything that happens to a coin after it leaves the mint is "damage", so this coin would not grade.

There are people who specifically collect colorized coins.  However, because the color is peeling, most collectors would pass-it-over for it's more intact counterpart.

If you enjoy the coin... keep it and enjoy it in the capsule for as long as the color lasts.

It was colorized by the mint.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/china-1999-oz-10-yuan-silver-colored-2249401083

Best

On 3/23/2022 at 11:19 PM, NUMISGA said:

Well there you go.  I will stay out of the colorized coin threads from now on... apologies. :tonofbricks:

Back to the question at hand - how does peeling colorization on the coin impact the grade?(shrug):popcorn:

On 3/23/2022 at 11:25 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Back to the question at hand - how does peeling colorization on the coin impact the grade?(shrug):popcorn:

I would think that it's no different than if the coin took a hit, or contact marks. It'll depend on the severity or amount of ink missing. Colorization does add another level in that the centering of the ink can go against the grade. 

On 3/24/2022 at 4:25 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Well there you go.  I will stay out of the colorized coin threads from now on... apologies. :tonofbricks:

I only collect coins which are legal tender and not modified :cool:, all those coins colorized by a third party are imho a disaster. It should be forbidden, imho.

On 3/24/2022 at 11:17 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I would think that it's no different than if the coin took a hit, or contact marks. It'll depend on the severity or amount of ink missing. Colorization does add another level in that the centering of the ink can go against the grade. 

Thank you.

Will share the result in approx. three months here, when i get the coin back. :-)

Best

On 3/24/2022 at 10:54 AM, NUMISGA said:

I only collect coins which are legal tender and not modified :cool:, all those coins colorized by a third party are imho a disaster. It should be forbidden, imho.

Obviously, these coins are not my area of focus, so again... apologies for bad information.  Good luck in your grading, and keep us posted.

But what about colored or painted message threads? Some of them begin to peel off sooner or later....?

;)

On 3/24/2022 at 11:52 AM, RWB said:

But what about colored or painted message threads? Some of them begin to peel off sooner or later....?

;)

I am even less of an expert... so most of the time, I just watch :).  From now on... I am doing the same with colorized coin threads.

Nice. (thumbsu

Is the 70 the same coin pictured, the Birds & Flowers (Colorized)? If so that is quite a coup! :golfclap:

On 3/24/2022 at 10:54 AM, NUMISGA said:

Will share the result in approx. three months here, when i get the coin back. :-)

What happened to three months? xD

On 4/23/2022 at 12:16 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Is the 70 the same coin pictured, the Birds & Flowers (Colorized)? If so that is quite a coup! :golfclap:

Unfortunately, not. Gold and silver coins from china lunar serie.

On 4/23/2022 at 12:16 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

What happened to three months? xD

Well, NGC was very fast this time :) But state is still "Quality Control/Finalized", so not yet at the submission center.