• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASE mint mark ??
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hello, I figured I need to ask the experts after not getting consistent and understandable explanations from unknowledgeable customer service agents from both grading companies and a national dealer LOL. 

Question: I have 4 ASE coins (2021 T-2 and 2022) all graded 69 and 70. They all look the same (with AW inscription) on the obverse and no mint mark on back. 2 are labeled West Point and 2 with nothing listed on label. I was first told the AW was for West Point LOL. Then I was told unless its say Philadelphia (emergency production) or San Fransisco then its West Point. What's the real answer LOL :) 

PS: 2 I purchased and had graded and 2 were purchased already slabbed ! 

v/r

Ldhall

I agree there is a lot of hype out there. Don't get me wrong I love my ASE's I have all the years and two MS70's in slabs and a proof only because they were not much over spot and a good deal for there dates. It is a really nice Raw Coin Set. I hand picked them for all for the kids, grandchildren and great grand children. I would call them all MS. But in the end they are not worth what I was hoping they would be in my lifetime. If I were to sell them today I may get $30 a piece if I am lucky. Oh sure some of the dates are worth more but a dealer would not want to pay more unless it was in a PCGS or NGC slab maybe. Remember to most dealers it is only bullion and he has to resell them to pay his bills.  Wow look at me ranting off track LoL.................. What Coinbuf said is all you need.... .........LoL

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 3/22/2022 at 1:48 PM, ldhall said:

2 are labeled West Point and 2 with nothing listed on label. I was first told the AW was for West Point LOL. Then I was told unless its say Philadelphia (emergency production) or San

Darn it bud now i cant get Mike the huckster voice out of my head!!!!  limited supply  Emergency production!!!  yikes!!!  dont fall for it! 

On 3/22/2022 at 1:48 PM, ldhall said:

was first told the AW was for West Point

Whoever told you this should be on your "Do not listen to" list.

On 3/22/2022 at 4:34 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I agree there is a lot of hype out there. Don't get me wrong I love my ASE's I have all the years and two MS70's in slabs and a proof only because they were not much over spot and a good deal for there dates. It is a really nice Raw Coin Set. I hand picked them for all for the kids, grandchildren and great grand children. I would call them all MS. But in the end they are not worth what I was hoping they would be in my lifetime. If I were to sell them today I may get $30 a piece if I am lucky. Oh sure some of the dates are worth more but a dealer would not want to pay more unless it was in a PCGS or NGC slab maybe. Remember to most dealers it is only bullion and he has to resell them to pay his bills.  Wow look at me ranting off track LoL.................. What Coinbuf said is all you need.... .........LoL

Current bid price on common dates is 30.25, 1996 wholesale is 70. Premiums on ASE’s are skyrocketing, You could sell common dates on ebay for 35-42, investor / collector may be willing to pay up to 38 each. 

Unless there is a huge demand, or for some reason the West Point mint has to close (as they did briefly due to Covid) all the bullion coins are struck at West Point.  If they do have to strike them at another mint then the strapping on the green minster boxes identify which mint they are from, and the boxes get shipped unopened to the TPG's and slabbed with a (S) or (P) on the label so they can be hyped as rare issues.  (But if you were to ever be cracked out they would suddenly become just generic West Point coins, so the only value is in the label.)

And if they strike bullion issues at San Francisco those dies are made in Philadelphia as well.  There is no difference between the bullion dies used at Philadelphia, Sn Francisco,or West Point.