• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

damaged coin question
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I purchased this dime because of its rarity and the price seemed right. My question is about the post mint damage on it, mostly on the obverse near the bottom. I know almost nothing about grading but thought the coin, if it wasn't20220317_201806.thumb.jpg.b0e2f7140d017046fe37b0f460283cb8.jpg20220317_201841.thumb.jpg.2d1dbb9afcff3c4801e698fd3739e3d1.jpg damaged would be considered a fairly decent example. Does the damage make it worthless or is there still some value?  1842o.   I paid forty bucks.   Thanks!

Badly damaged and corroded. It might be worth $5, but finding a buyer would be very difficult when a nice VG is reasonably priced. Yes, it's "rare" but so are collectors of these by date/mint, thus there are plenty of undamaged specimens to meet demand.

Edited by RWB

Yep a touch of bondo and some minor welding and that will be good as new.  doh!   I went to just one dealer's website and he has two undamaged 1942-O seated dimes one listed as a Good for $50 and a VG for $75.   How you spend your money is your business, but as you have asked for opinions I think you made a very poor decision to buy this damaged coin.

Edited by Coinbuf

Thanks guys. That's what i wanted to know. I don't consider it wasted. I call it tuition. I am not fortunate enough to have an acquaintance in the hobby so i am learning the hard way! I appreciate you being straightforward. 

I learned the hard way also. I made some buys on coins that were damaged, cleaned, etc. I wrote them down as expensive learning lessons. Finding this forum is the best thing I ever done. Ive learned a whole lot of these guys.