• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone versed in early British Gold?

9 posts in this topic

I have someone asking me about this coin and I know nothing about them. I’ve asked for a weight but not sure I will get an accurate one. And the pics aren’t great. Anyone know these well? Any chance it’s legit or are there tell tale signs it’s counterfeit? He took it in as a trade in at his car lot. You know how the story goes. I don’t want it I am just curious to know if it is even remotely possible it’s real. 

18B1605A-1306-4FD7-9191-4C5435711CAA.jpeg

12EA89D7-3567-472B-9CED-E32B9CE70A20.jpeg

FC8A8181-77D5-4668-9600-60166F1462E1.jpeg

601E2FA3-D0A0-470D-9FB6-E135F20D2C58.jpeg

Impossible to evaluate from fuzzy photos and no data. Low grade specimens sell for about $1,500. FDC = $7,000 to $8,000. (Is that a portcullis mintmark?)

Obverse

Legend starting from the top right reads:

HENRIC DI GRA REX AnGLIE Z FRA

Most have AnGL not AnGLIE like this one. Translated the legend reads “Henry by the Grace of God, King of England and France.”

Saint Michael slaying dragon with both feet clearly on the ground and hold a spear. Cross Crosslet spear shaft and St. Michael’s halo break through the inner beading. 

Mint mark is to the right of Saint Michael’s head in the legend area. 

Reverse

The reverse design of the gold angel coin shows a crown at the center of a ship amongst the waves, with an “h” to the left and a rose to the right of the cross as ships mast.

Latin legend and beaded borders surrounding, PERx CRVCE'x TVA'x SALVAx nOSx XPE'x REDE'. (“By Thy cross, save us, O Christ, our Redeemer.”)

Specification

Gold, 0.163 T oz.; 0.995; 1504.

[Chards Coin and Bullion Dealer]

Edited by RWB

On 3/14/2022 at 9:28 PM, Coinbuf said:

The mushy details would give me pause.

Agreed. He is so convinced he won’t even talk about it not being legit. I asked for weight and he said it was already validated. I said I want to see better pics to determine grade and he says it’s XF. I have zero interest in it other than I’m genuinely curious if he is right or not. 

On 3/14/2022 at 8:45 PM, Woods020 said:

Agreed. He is so convinced he won’t even talk about it not being legit. I asked for weight and he said it was already validated. I said I want to see better pics to determine grade and he says it’s XF. I have zero interest in it other than I’m genuinely curious if he is right or not. 

Did he say who validated it?

On 3/14/2022 at 10:49 PM, Coinbuf said:

Did he say who validated it?

Heck no. I figure his eyes were the validation. It’s funny I also got the age old strategy of “I was offered $3200 earlier today and I turned it down. This is a $5000 coin”. That’s when you tell them to run, not walk, and catch the guy that offered it. 

On 3/14/2022 at 8:52 PM, Woods020 said:

Heck no. I figure his eyes were the validation. It’s funny I also got the age old strategy of “I was offered $3200 earlier today and I turned it down. This is a $5000 coin”. That’s when you tell them to run, not walk, and catch the guy that offered it. 

Lol, so true!!